Shipping Depop items to Canada used to be a hassle, but not anymore. This post lays out a dead-simple process for getting your order from Depop—or any other U.S. retailer—shipped right to your doorstep in Canada with zero trouble and minimal fees.
Depop is a mobile marketplace for buying and selling items from their phones. Founded in London in 2011 by one of the founders of PIG magazine, Simon Beckerman, Depop started out as a social network where PIG’s readers could buy items featured in the magazine. After realizing that Depop needed a selling function, Beckerman re-envisioned the app as a global marketplace—a mobile space where you can see what your friends and influencers you follow are liking, buying, and selling.
You can find everything from the big brands to independent labels available on Depop. Hundreds of thousands of sellers are peddling all sorts of swimwear, activewear, handbags, jewelry, accessories, and much more.
Does Depop Ship to Canada?
No, Depop does not ship to Canada, but I’ve designed a process for getting any Depop order shipped to Canada with zero headaches. Here’s that process, explained step-by-step.
How To Get Depop Orders Shipped To Canada
Since Depop doesn’t ship to Canada directly, you need to use a package forwarder: a warehouse in the United States that will accept your Depop package and forward it on to you in Canada. Here’s how to make it work.
Step 1: Choose A Package Forwarder
Choosing the right package forwarder is a big deal, because that decision will determine how quickly you get your Depop haul, and how much you have to pay for the service. I spent many hours doing some deep research on eight different package forwarders, scoring each of them on a wide variety of relevant metrics. Here are five of the main metrics I looked at:
- Service Fees: How much do they charge to provide their core service of accepting and shipping packages, plus ancillary services such as long-term storage, re-packing, package consolidation, and more.
- Monthly/Annual Fees: How much do they charge in monthly or annual fees, if at all.
- Pricing Transparency: How much do I know about their pricing structure before sending my order to their warehouse.
- Speed: How quickly will they process my package.
- Customer Service: How satisfied are other users with their service, and how thoroughly/quickly do they respond to my questions.
After reviewing the data I collected on these and other metrics, it became clear to me that Planet Express was the best choice. Their customer service team responded to my emails quickly and thoroughly, they have thousands of 5-star reviews online, and their fees were consistently lower than all of the other package forwarders I looked at.
Here are a few other things I like about Planet Express:
- Planet Express has a tax-free warehouse in Oregon, so you can avoid paying sales tax on your orders.
- Planet Express will consolidate multiple packages into a single box, saving you a significant amount on shipping when you make multiple purchases.
- Planet Express sends you free photos of your package as soon as it arrives at their warehouse.
- Planet Express offers extremely cheap storage for your packages. Every package receives 10 days of free storage, but after that, Planet Express only charges one cent per pound per day. That means storing a 1 lb of clothes in their warehouse for a month would only cost you $0.30!
Step 2: Ship Your Depop Order To Planet Express
As soon as you’ve signed up for Planet Express, you’ll receive a unique mailing address at their warehouse. Once you find the items you like, just enter your Planet Express mailing address instead of your home mailing address and you’re all set.
Step 3: Forward Your Package
As soon as your Depop order arrives at Planet Express’ warehouse, they’ll send you photos of the package to let you know it’s arrived. You’ll also be given a series of shipping options to choose from. I find that there’s generally at least 4 shipping options corresponding to 4 different price-speed combinations. Sometimes there can be as many as 10 or more shipping options—it just depends on the weight and size of your package.
My Personal Experience Shipping Depop Orders To Canada
I’ve used Planet Express a handful of times to ship stuff from Depop (usually clothes) to Canada, and the experience has always been very smooth. Here’s how things went the last time I did it.
First, I found the item I want on Depop.com, in this case an oversized jacket.
Second, I had the jacket sent to my unique address at the tax-free Planet Express warehouse in Oregon. Less than 48 hours after the Depop seller shipped my jacket, I received an email from Planet Express letting me know that it had arrived. The other package forwarders I tested took 2-3 days to process incoming packages, so Planet Express is extremely quick on this.
Third, I filled in Planet Express’ super-easy customs declaration form with the four pieces of information required:
- The item being shipped: “Jacket”
- The number of items: “1”
- The value of the item: “$50”
- Whether the item contains batteries: “No”
Then I chose the shipping option I wanted from a list of eight. Prices ranged from $6-$35 USD, plus insurance at an additional $2 USD, so I chose the cheapest one ($8 USD, including the insurance), and I was done. My jacket was shipped out later that same day. When it arrived, I didn’t have to pay duties upon arrival, and the jacket was in perfect shape.
In my experience, the price I paid ($6 USD + $2 USD in insurance) is pretty standard for shipping Depop clothing to Canada with Planet Express. You also won’t need to pay any customs or duties on your imports thanks to the new United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) trade deal that came into effect on July 1, 2020, which allows Canadians to import up to $150 CAD worth of goods from the US or Mexico without paying any customs or duties. This is a huge jump up from the previous threshold ($20 CAD), and means you probably won’t have to pay any customs or duties on any of your imports moving ahead.
Overall, shipping Depop orders to Canada using Planet Express is extremely easy and smooth. The costs are low, and in my experience you’ll actually end up saving money, since the selection and prices you get from Depop sellers is generally much better than what you get in Canada. If you’re shopping on Depop, or any other retailer that only ships to the USA, I highly suggest making use of Planet Express.