Traveling Mailbox is one of the most popular virtual mailbox providers out there and rightly so. They provide decent services at very reasonable rates. As you’ll find in this Traveling Mailbox review, their services include: Street Addresses, Open & Scans, Mail Forwarding, Virtual Office Services, Check Deposits, Unlimited Cloud Storage, Junk Mail Filtering aqnd Secure Shredding.
Considering their cost-to-value ration, traveling mailbox is a great option for individuals, families, travelers, and small businesses.
In this Traveling Mailbox review, we’ll go over Traveling Mailbox’s features and services, pros and cons, fees, and how Traveling Mailbox compares to other virtual mailbox providers.
What Are Virtual Mailboxes?
A virtual mailbox allows you to check your mail right from your phone or laptop. They provide you with a street address where you can send physical mail. Once your mail is delivered at that address, they will accept it on your behalf, scan the envelope or package (without opening it), and send you that scan through email. From there you have three different options of what to do:
- Have them open up the envelope and send you another scan of the actual mail inside.
- Forward the mail on to another physical address, such as a relative’s address or an address in a different country.
- Shred the mail if it’s spam or unwanted.
How To Choose A Virtual Mailbox
On the surface, the mailbox with the lowest monthly fee might seem the cheapest option, but when it comes to virtual mailboxes, the devil’s often in the details. Here are some pointers that’ll help you understand the general fee structure of the virtual mailbox world:
The core functionality of a virtual mailbox is what you’d expect—receiving letters and scanning their contents for you to view remotely—but there are a number of other services they may also provide. Here are just a few:
- Package Forwarding: Some virtual mailboxes only deal with letters, but most of them will allow you to receive packages, too, to be forwarded on to the address of your choice.
- Package Consolidation: If you’re receiving multiple packages per month, it often makes sense to have your virtual mailbox consolidate them into a single shipment, to save on postage.
- Check Deposits: With your permission, your digital mailbox will deposit the checks you receive on your behalf. If you also run a remote business, check depositing can be an especially big deal.
- Monthly Fee: As the name suggests, the monthly fee is a certain amount that you pay every month for the street address that they provide. Some mailboxes offer pay-as-you-go plans where you’ll only pay for what you use. Pay-as-you-go may seem like the cheapest option but that isn’t always the case. 90 percent of virtual mailbox providers come with a fixed monthly fee.
- Scanning Prices: There are two types of scanning, one is commonly referred to as “envelope scanning” or sometimes “mail handling” and the other type is “Open & Scans”. The Envelope Scan is basically a scan of the envelope that tells you where and from whom the mail is from. Then if you want to see the contents inside the envelope, you can request an Open & Scan. So an Open & Scan is a scan of the contents inside the envelope. Now most virtual mailbox providers will offer a free monthly quota of Envelope Scans and Open & Scans but once the quota is met, there are additional charges. To avoid getting an unforeseen large bill, it’s important to thoroughly look at the additional charges chart and to choose a plan that best meets your needs, even if on the surface it looks a tiny bit expensive.
- Physical Storage Prices: It’s also important to consider physical storage prices. Most of the popular virtual mailbox providers offer free physical storage for a limited amount of time (often 1-2 months) and after that, there are some minor additional charges. It’s a good practice to either shred or forward mail that is too old, to avoid additional charges.
Click here to read more on how to choose a virtual mailbox.
Now that you have a better picture about virtual mailboxes in general, let’s continue this Traveling Mailbox review to see what this particular company offers.
About Traveling Mailbox
Traveling Mailbox is a US-based virtual mailbox provider. In business since 2011, Traveling Mailbox is one of the most popular and trustworthy virtual mailbox providers. Their 3 different plans can cater to the needs of almost anyone at some of the best rates in the market. Whether you have a small business or you’re a frequent traveller, Traveling Mailbox is a great option to consider.
Traveling Mailbox Features And Services
Traveling Mailbox offers 25 physical addresses to choose from. Your virtual mailbox will come with Unlimited Cloud Storage, where all your scans will be securely saved. They also offer Virtual Office features and all at very reasonable rates.
Here are all the features and benefits you’ll get with Traveling Mailbox:
- Physical Addresses: 25 physical addresses from all over the US.
- Open & Scan: When new mail arrives, it is scanned and a scan of the envelope is sent to your virtual mailbox. From there you can request an Open & Scan where a scan of the content inside the envelope will be uploaded to your virtual mailbox where you can check it.
- Mail Forwarding: Once the mail arrives at the address provided by Traveling Mailbox then if need be, you can forward it to pretty much anywhere.
- Check Deposit: If you receive a check, you can have it securely deposited into your bank account right from your phone.
- Virtual Office Services: Traveling Mailbox also offers virtual office services like mailing a letter directly from your online mailbox, mailing a check, and sending & receiving faxes.
- Unlimited Cloud Storage: Unlimited cloud storage for your scans.
- Mobile App: They have their mobile app, which is much more convenient, compared to using a phone browser, which can be tedious at times.
- Physical Storage For Mail: First 60 days free then $1 USD per envelope/month.
- Junk Mail Filtering: Junk mail that is not directly addressed to you (mail that is addressed to Current Resident, Current Occupant etc.) will be filtered out and will not count towards your monthly volume limit.
- Secure Shredding: If mail is uploaded to your account that you consider junk, you can mark it as junk and it will be shredded for free and the item will not be counted towards your monthly volume limit.
In this section of this Traveling Mailbox review, you’ll find a list of the most important pros this virtual mailbox has compared to the competition:
- Mail Security: 2-factor authentication (2FA) provides an extra layer of security to make sure no one gets access to your account.
- Easy-to-use mobile app.
- Multiple addresses to choose from.
- Free and secured mail shredding.
- A limited number of Free scans every month.
- Junk mail doesn’t count towards the monthly quota.
- If you sign up for a year of service, you get two months for free.
There aren’t any real cons to speak of regarding Traveling Mailbox other than the fact that they only offer physical addresses within the US and don’t offer any international addresses.
Traveling Mailbox Monthly Plans
Traveling Mailbox offers three plans:
- Basic Plan
- Extended Plan
- Small Business Plan
Upon writing this Traveling Mailbox review, these are the perks that come with each of these plans:
With the Basic Plan, you get 40 free envelope scans (or incoming mail), 35 open & scans, unlimited cloud storage and you can add 3 recipients to your virtual mailbox.
- Free Incoming Envelopes: 40/month, after that $0.25 USD per envelope.
- Monthly Fee: $15 USD
- Free Open & Scans: 35/ Month, after that $0.50 USD per page scan
- Mailbox Recipients: 3 Mailbox Recipients. You can add 3 recipients to your virtual mailbox. Could be your spouse, children, or employees.
- Additional Features: Unlimited Cloud Storage, Junk Mail Filtering.
With the Extended Plan, you get 100 free envelope scans (or incoming mail), 80 open & scans, unlimited cloud storage, scans rollover and you can add 5 recipients to your virtual mailbox.
- Free Incoming Envelopes: 100/month, after that $0.25 USD per envelope.
- Monthly Fee: $25 USD
- Free Open & Scans: 80/month, after that $0.50 USD per page scan
- Mailbox Recipients: 5 Mailbox Recipients.
- Additional Features: Unlimited Cloud Storage, Junk Mail Filtering, Scans Rollover (Your unused envelope and page scans will roll over the following month)
Small Business Plan
With the Extended Plan, you get 200 free envelope scans (or incoming mail), 180 open & scans, unlimited cloud storage, scans rollover and you can add 10 recipients to your virtual mailbox.
- Free Incoming Envelopes: 200/month, after that $0.25 USD per envelope.
- Monthly Fee: $55 USD
- Free Open & Scans: 180 /month, after that $0.50 USD per page scan
- Mailbox Recipients: 10 Mailbox Recipients.
- Additional Features: Unlimited Cloud Storage, Junk Mail Filtering, Scans Rollover.
Traveling Mailbox’s Fees
- Monthly fee: $15-$55 USD /month
- No Setup fee
- Open & Scan: 35-180 pages/month free (depending on your plan) then $0.25 USD per envelope
- Mail Forwarding: $2 USD + Postage/item
- Storage: First 60 days free. Then $1 USD per envelope/month
How Does Traveling Mailbox Compare To Other Virtual Mailboxes?
There are plenty of other virtual mailboxes to choose from, other than Traveling Mailbox. In the following subsections, we’ll compare the highlights and fees of Traveling Mailbox with other virtual mailboxes.
Related: Check out our 2020 Virtual Mailbox Review, where we compare 15 different virtual mailbox providers to help you pick the best one.
Traveling Mailbox Highlights: Side By Side Comparison
In the following table, you’ll find the most important features of each of these virtual mailboxes and of Travelling Mailbox, compared side by side:
|Service Provider||Highlight 1||Highlight 2||Highlight 3||Monthly Fee|
|Traveling Mailbox||25 street addresses to choose from||Unlimited Cloud Storage||Junk Mail Filtering||$15-$55 USD /month|
|Anytime Mailbox||6oo International Locations to choose from||Check Deposit||International Mail Forwarding||It depends on which location you’re going with. For Example: For Vancouver, the rates range fromC$ 9.99-$299.99 USD / month|
|VirtualPostMail||Registered Agent Services||Check Deposit||Up to 60 days of free physical storage for your mail||$20-$90 USD /month|
|Earth Class Mail||Multiple User Sign In||Check Deposit||Large Variety of reputable addresses||$39-$179 USD /month|
|US Global Mail||Unlimited Incoming Mail||Check Deposit||Unlimited Forwarding addresses||Starting @ $10 USD /month|
|iPostal1||Over 900 locations across the world to choose from.||Virtual Office Services||Automatic check Deposit||Starting @ $9.99 USD /month|
Traveling Mailbox Fees: Side By Side Comparison
In this section of this Traveling Mailbox review, you’ll find a comparison of the fee structures of 6 different virtual mailbox providers with Traveling Mailbox.
|Service Provider||Scanning Price||Mail Forwarding||Physical Storage Price||Monthly Fee|
|Traveling Mailbox||If the incoming mail exceeds the free monthly limit then, $0.25 USD per envelope$0.50 per page scan||$2 USD + Postage/item||First 60 days free. Then, $1 USD per envelope/month.||$15-$55 USD /month|
|Anytime Mailbox||It depends on the location & plan you’re choosing, for example, if you go with Vancouver then,|
Silver:10 pages/month free then $0.50 CAD /page
Gold:20 pages/month free then $0.50 CAD /page
Unlimited: Free Unlimited Open & Scans
|It depends on the location & plans you’re choosing, for example, if you go with Vancouver $3.00 CAD +Shipping ||It depends on the location & plan you’re choosing, for example, if you go with Vancouver, then:|
(Silver Plan)Small Envelope Free for 30 days then 10 cents/day
Large Envelope Free for 30 days then 15 cents/day
Small Box Free for 15 days then 25 cents/day
Large Box Free for 7 days then 50 cents/days
|It depends on which location you’re going with. For Example: For Vancouver, the rates range from$9.99-$299.99 CAD/ month|
|VirtualPostMail||If the incoming mail exceeds the free monthly limit then, $1 USD /first 10 pages then, $0.25 USD /page||Single letter: $2.30 USD for up to 2 oz increases accordingly for up to 13 oz.|
2+ letters: $3.30 USD for up to 5 oz and increases accordingly for up to 13 oz.
Packages: Price depends on weight, number of packages, and whether or not mail is included.
|First 60 days free, then you’ll be notified||$20-$90/month|
|Earth Class Mail||$1.85-$3 per content (depending on which plan you’re going with)||Domestic: $1.25-$3 USD /shipment + postage(depending on which plan you’re going with)|
International: $5-$9.00 USD/shipment + postage(depending on which plan you’re going with)
|Letter: First 30 days free. Then,$1.50 USD /month|
Package: First 10 days free. Then, $15.00 USD per pound/month
|US Global Mail||$3 USD /letter + $0.50 USD /pg in each letter||Free + Shipping cost||Letters: First 180 days free. Then 10 cents/letter/month|
Packages: First 30 days free. Then, $1 USD /lb/mo
|Starting @ $10/month|
|iPostal1||$2.25 USD for up to 10 pages, then $.25 USD per page||Just the shipping cost||Letters: $1.10 USD /item per month|
Boxes: $1.10-$6.6 USD /pound per month(depending on weight and dimensions of the box)
|Starting @ $9.99/month|
Traveling Mailbox is one of the most affordable virtual mailboxes out there. Their monthly plans range from $15-$55 USD/month. There are free monthly volumes of envelope scans and open & scans that come with the monthly fee. Details on the additional charges after the monthly quota is met are mentioned in the table above.
Traveling Mailbox Review: Who Is It Best For?
- Individuals: If you’re a single person with minor needs, the basic plan that Traveling Mailboxoffers, is a great option for you to consider. It comes at $15 USD /month with 40 free envelope scans and 35 free open & scans, unlimited cloud storage, and 60 days of free physical storage for your mail.
- Families: If you have a family, depending on your needs, you could either go with the Basic Plan or the Extended Plan. With the Extended Plan you get, 100 free envelope scans, 80 free open and scans, unlimited could storage, 60 days free physical storage, scans roller (you can use unused scans from the previous month, the following month) and you can give 5 recipients (spouse/children/employees) access to your mailbox.
- Small businesses: If you’re a small business owner, you should definitely consider Traveling Mailbox’s Small Business Plan. It offers 200 free envelope scans per month, 180 free open and scans per month, scans rollover, unlimited cloud storage, 60 days of free physical storage for your mail and you can add 10 Recipients to your mailbox. It comes at a rate of $55 USD /month. And with their virtual office services you can write a letter and mail it out, you can mail a check and send & receive faxes. However, if your expecting more than 200-240 incoming mail per month, then maybe you should consider another option.
- Travellers: Traveling Mailbox’s services are pretty much trailer made for travellers. No matter where you are in the world, you can have your mail taken care of. You can see your mail, forward it to another address, return it, deposit checks, all from your smartphone.
As you just saw in this Traveling Mailbox review, this is not the biggest fish in the virtual mailbox market. However, the cost-value ratio they bring to the table is very competitive; because of that, they have gained quite a lot of popularity in recent years. They’ve been proven to be consistent, reliable, and very affordable, making them one of the best options out there.
Considering their rates and features, Traveling Mailbox is a great option for individuals, families, small businesses, and travellers especially if you’re aiming to keep things on a budget.