Getting your purchases from Vinted shipped to Canada used to be a hassle, but not anymore. This post lays out a dead-simple process for getting your order from Vinted—or any other U.S. retailer—shipped right to your doorstep in Canada with zero trouble and minimal fees.
If you love finding bargains and unique finds among second-hand and vintage clothing, chances are you’re familiar with Vinted. It all began in 2008 when founder Milda Mitkutė was moving apartments and found she had too many clothes to take with her. Her friend and co-founder Justas Janauskas offered to build a website to help her give away her clothes to friends, and soon enough Vinted was born.
Today, Vinted has shifted away from its charitable roots into a mobile marketplace for buying and selling rare finds, or simply what you don’t wear anymore. Vinted’s community of 25 million users has made it its mission to make second-hand clothes a great first choice.
Does Vinted Ship To Canada?
No, Vinted does not ship to Canada, but I’ve designed a process for getting any Vinted order shipped to Canada with zero headaches. Here’s that process, explained step-by-step.
How To Get Vinted Orders Shipped To Canada
Since Vinted sellers generally don’t ship to Canada directly, you’ll need to use a package forwarder: a warehouse in the United States that will accept your Vinted package and forward it on to you in Canada. Here’s how to make it work.
Step 1: Choose A Package Forwarder
Choosing the right package forwarder is a big deal, because that decision will determine how quickly you get your clothing, and how much you have to pay for the service. I spent many hours doing some deep research on eight different package forwarders, scoring each of them on a wide variety of relevant metrics. Here are five of the main metrics I looked at:
- Service Fees: How much do they charge to provide their core service of accepting and shipping packages, plus ancillary services such as long-term storage, re-packing, package consolidation, and more.
- Monthly/Annual Fees: How much do they charge in monthly or annual fees, if at all.
- Pricing Transparency: How much do I know about their pricing structure before sending an order to their warehouse.
- Speed: How quickly will they process my package.
- Customer Service: How satisfied are other users with their service, and how thoroughly/quickly do they respond to my questions.
After reviewing the data I collected on these and other metrics, it became clear to me that Planet Express was the best choice. Their customer service team responded to my emails quickly and thoroughly, they have thousands of 5-star reviews online, and their fees were consistently lower than all of the other package forwarders I looked at.
Here are a few other things I like about Planet Express:
- Planet Express has a tax-free warehouse in Oregon, so you can avoid paying sales tax on your orders.
- Planet Express will consolidate multiple packages into a single box, saving you a significant amount on shipping when you make multiple purchases.
- Planet Express sends you free photos of your package as soon as it arrives at their warehouse.
- Planet Express offers extremely cheap storage for your packages. Every package receives 10 days of free storage, but after that, Planet Express only charges one cent per pound per day. That means storing 1 lb of clothing (a pair of jeans and a light jacket, for example) in their warehouse for a month would only cost you $0.30!
Step 2: Ship Your Vinted Order To Planet Express
As soon as you’ve signed up for Planet Express, you’ll receive a unique mailing address at their warehouse. Once you find the clothing you like, just enter your Planet Express mailing address instead of your home mailing address and you’re all set.
Step 3: Forward Your Package
As soon as your Vinted order arrives at Planet Express’ warehouse, they’ll send you photos of the package to let you know it’s arrived. You’ll also be given a series of shipping options to choose from. I find that there’s generally at least 4 shipping options corresponding to 4 different price-speed combinations. Sometimes there can be as many as 10 or more shipping options—it just depends on the weight and size of your package.
My Personal Experience Shipping Vinted Orders To Canada
I’ve used Planet Express a handful of times to ship my Vinted purchases to Canada, and the experience has always been very smooth. Here’s how things went the last time I did it.
First, I found the clothing I want on Vinted.com, in this case a knitted sweatshirt.
Second, I had the sweatshirt sent to my unique address at the tax-free Planet Express warehouse in Oregon. Less than 48 hours later, I received an email from Planet Express letting me know that it had arrived. The other package forwarders I tested took considerably longer to process incoming packages, so Planet Express is extremely quick on this.
Third, I filled in Planet Express’ super-easy customs declaration form with the four pieces of information required:
- The item being shipped: “Sweatshirt”
- The number of items: “1”
- The value of the item: “$50”
- Whether the item contains batteries: “No”
Then I chose the shipping option I wanted from a list of eight. Prices ranged from $6-$35 USD, plus insurance at an additional $2 USD, so I chose the cheapest one ($8 USD, including the insurance), and I was done. My order was shipped out later that same day. When it arrived, I didn’t have to pay duties upon arrival, and the sweatshirt was in perfect shape.
In my experience, the price I paid ($6 USD + $2 USD in insurance) is pretty standard for shipping Vinted clothing to Canada with Planet Express. You also won’t need to pay any customs or duties on your imports thanks to the new United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) trade deal that came into effect on July 1, 2020, which allows Canadians to import up to $150 CAD worth of goods from the US or Mexico without paying any customs or duties. This is a huge jump up from the previous threshold ($20 CAD), and means you probably won’t have to pay any customs or duties on any of your imports moving ahead.
Overall, shipping your Vinted purchases to Canada using Planet Express is extremely easy and smooth. The costs are low, and in my experience you’ll actually end up saving money, since the prices and selection you can find on Vinted are much better than what you’ll get in Canada. If you’re shopping on Vinted, or any other retailer that only ships to the USA, I highly suggest making use of Planet Express.