If you’re a one-trip-a-year traveller, if you’re looking to take a couple’s vacation or you take a family vacation at least once a year, the WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard is for you. It’s impressive companion fare and free first-checked bag adds value and great savings to this card.
|Annual Benefits vs. Annual Fee||10|
|Foreign Transaction Fees||4|
|Customer Service & Online Experience||8|
We don’t recommend the WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard: If you are looking for an embedded travel medical insurance package, then you might want to try other cards such as the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite or the BMO World Elite Mastercard. Overall, the WesJet RBC World Elite Mastercard is a valuable travel card with good earn rates.
Features & Benefits of the WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard
|Welcome Bonus Points|| 250 WestJet Dollars |
100 WestJet Dollars extra when you make your first purchase in the first 3 months
|Earn Rate on Travel||2%|
|Earn Rate on Food & Drink||1.5%|
|Companion Tickets||Annual World Elite round-trip companion voucher starting at $119 CAD|
|Comprehensive Travel Insurance||Travel Accident Insurance- $500,000|
Trip Cancellation Insurance- $5,000
Trip Interruption Insurance-$5,000
Baggage Delay Insurance- $500
Flight Delay Insurance- $250
Lost or Stolen Baggage Insurance- $500
Hotel/Motel Burglary Insurance- $2,500
Car Rental Theft and Damage Insurance- $65,000
|Foreign Transaction Fee||2.50%|
#1 Welcome Bonus
Does a welcome bonus of 250 WestJet dollars sound good? Get more when you sign up for their limited time promo where you can earn an additional 100 WestJet dollars when you make your first purchase within the first three months.
Each WestJet dollar is equivalent to $1 Canadian dollar so in total, you earn $350 Canadian dollars worth of welcome bonus when you sign up.
WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard Welcome Bonus Score: _7__/10
#2 Rewards Program
WestJet makes it easy for you to earn WestJet dollars which you can use to pay for WestJet flights or even WestJet Vacation packages.
There are also no blackout dates or seat restrictions at any time or on any flights.
You can easily book a flight to destinations in North America, across Central America, to the Caribbean, and to Europe.
Your WestJet dollars can be used towards:
- Payment of the base fare for eligible flights
- Payment of the base fare for vacation packages
- Redeem as few (starting with the minimum 15 WestJet dollars) or as many WestJet dollars as you want on the base fare portion on Economy, Premium or Business fares
- Over 450 destinations to travel around the globe, serviced by WestJet or their airline partners
WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard Rewards Program Score: __8__/10
#3 Earn Rates
|Spending Category||Points Earned Per Dollar Spent|
|Food & Drinks||1.5|
Overall, the earn rates for this card are standard. Food & drinks, gas, and groceries purchases give you 1.5%. Also, if you use your card to pump gas with Petro-Canada, you save 3 cents/litre.
However, to truly benefit from the earn rates, use this card to purchase your WestJet flights or WestJet Vacations packages. When you have collected enough WestJet Dollars, you can gain these perks:
- Flights – use WestJet dollars to pay for the base airfare of a minimum of $15 per one way booking. Your dollars can also be used to purchase flights operated by partner airlines.
- Vacation packages – use WestJet Dollars to pay for a vacation package (not inclusive of taxes and fees), a minimum of $50 dollars is required to redeem.
WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard Earn Rates Score: _6__/10
#4 Travel Benefits
The biggest selling point of this card is the annual companion voucher and also that there are no blackouts or seat restrictions on any flights, at any time. Through this card, the primary cardholder and eight additional guests get free priority first checked bags. This means your entire family travelling on the same booking can get this same privilege.
Let’s have a look at how the companion voucher works. You may use it only once annually to book a WestJet Flight for:
- $119 for a round-trip flight anywhere in Canada or the continental US.
- $399 to anywhere in the world that WestJet flies to.
Both vouchers are inclusive of fees and taxes.
Other than that, this card’s travel benefits are average at best. Here’s a summary of all the travel perks that come with this card:
|Annual Travel Credit|
|Airport Lounge Access||✓|
|Other Travel Benefits||✓|
The first checked bag for you and 8 members on the same ticket reservation is only for WestJet flights.
WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard Travel Benefits Score: __5___/10
#5 Annual Benefits vs. Annual Fee
The Annual benefits vs the Annual Fee are moderate. You don’t lose out much and neither do you gain a lot. You get a dollar value of the annual fee that is modest. The annual profits from the benefits that you set to gain are $287.50.
Here is a brief calculation of how much you get to save on your first year:
Welcome Bonus: $350
Free First Checked-Bag: $56.50 (baggage cost based on a tax rate of 13%)
Annual Fee: – $119
First Year Savings: $287.50
The free first checked bag usually would cost around $30 to $35.50 on WestJet flights. This benefit on your card could save you up to $100 per trip especially if you travel with a family of four or up to 8 people.
Other benefits you get when you sign up for this card are the Mastercard privileges such as LoungeKey airport experiences as well as membership to over 800 airport lounges all over the world.
WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard Annual Benefits vs. Annual Fee Score: __10__/10
#6 Referral Program
This card does not have a referral program
WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard Referral Program Score: __0_/10
#7 Travel Insurance
|Emergency Medical Insurance (Out of province/country)||No amount specified. However, coverage is provided for 15 days for cardholders under 65 years old and 3 days for cardholders above 65 years old.|
|Travel Accident Insurance||$500,000|
|Trip Cancelation Insurance||$5,000|
|Trip Interruption Insurance||$5,000|
|Baggage Delay & Flight Delay Insurance||$500|
|Lost or Stolen Baggage Insurance||$500|
|Hotel/Motel Burglary Insurance||$2,500|
|Car Rental Theft and Damage Insurance||$65,000|
As a World Elite card, this card has a good amount of coverage considering the modest annual fee. While the card does tell you how much you are covered for the above- mentioned items, it does not specify the amount of coverage for Out-of-Province emergencies.
WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard Travel Insurance Score: _10__/10
#8 Purchase Coverage
Yes, you’ll get to enjoy moderate purchase protection benefits with this card. While the card does not have an extended warranty, it does, however, provide coverage on accidental loss and damage of purchases for up to 90 days.
WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard Card Purchase Coverage Score: __3_/10
#9 Foreign Transaction Fees
The foreign transaction fees are expected and standard. You get a fee of 2.5% and a cash advance fee of $5. With that in mind, if you are looking for a card with no foreign transaction fee the Meridian Visa Infinite Travel is a good choice. Alternatively, for a card that has a lower cash advance fee, you can check out the Canadian Tire Triangle World Elite Mastercard offering a fee of $4.
WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard Foreign Transaction Fees Score: __4_/10
#10 Customer Service & Online Experience
The WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard is provided by RBC. You can access the customer service team via email, phone, International Toll-Free service and specific email addresses. You can also follow them on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube & LinkedIn. Overall, their website provides an easy way to find basic information, However, the lack of a calculator for all credit cards (they only have one’s for the Business credit cards) makes it harder to calculate your earn rates and rewards.
WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard Customer Service & Online Experience Score: _8__/10
Alternatives To The WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard
The WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard with its annual fee of $119 and a minimum personal income of $80,000 is an adequately moderate card that gives you sufficient perks in terms of earn rates and insurance coverage. It benefits people who do not travel frequently but would like to at least go for a couple’s vacation or a family trip a year.
If you are looking for a card with a companion benefit, then this card is for you.
However, for frequent flyers, this card does not offer much in terms of collecting rewards as you fly from one airport to another. You will have more value by signing up for the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card or the BMO World Elite Mastercard.
TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite
The TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite is the card you want if you’re looking for a TD brand with an Aeroplan program. This card offers:
- Welcome bonus that is enough to fit either two roundtrip short-haul flights or one long haul flight to any part of the continental US.
- Your first purchase with this card gets you 15,000 miles, and for the first three months you get an increased earn rate of 5 miles per $1 spent, up to a maximum of $1,000 per month.
- It also comes with excellent travel insurance that covers emergency medical coverage of up to $1 million for up to 21 days.
- Trip cancellation / interruption, Delayed/lost baggage, Flight / trip delay, common carrier travel accident & car rental collision / loss.
For the Aeroplan program, this card offers:
- Earn rate of 1.5 miles per $1 spent on eligible groceries, gas, drugstores, and Air Canada purchases. As well as 1 mile per $1 spent on every other purchase.
- Aeroplan miles at 2 cents per mile, which means you get up to three cents per dollar spent with their highest rate ($300 per every $10,000 spent) and a minimum of two cents with the other ($200 per every $10,000 spent).
This card has an annual fee of $120 and requires either a minimum personal income of $60,000 or a household income of $100,000 to apply.
BMO World Elite Mastercard
The other card that you can sign up for is the BMO World Elite Mastercard. This card offers VIP Lounge access that comes with the complimentary Mastercard Airport Experiences membership. You also get 4 complimentary passes per year. This card also offers a welcome bonus of 35,000 points if you spend $3,000 within the first 3 months.
For the earn rates, you get:
- Every $1 you spend on dining, entertainment, and travel, you earn 3 BMO points
- All other purchases, you get 2 points
- With a Mastercard, your card will be accepted everywhere. You do not have to deal with any blackout dates, and your points can be converted to cover fees and taxes.
The insurance coverage is good:
- This card will suit travelers who are not extremely frequent flyers.
- This card also has 14 types of insurance, which is considered the most comprehensive.
- This is an added value if you are looking for a card with good insurance coverage.
- Use this card when you need Alamo or National car rentals as you can get discounts.
To be eligible for this card: You need an annual income of $12,000 and the annual fee is at $150/year
Who Should Get The WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard Card?
If you are looking for a card with decent earn rates and a companion benefit, this is the card for you. Once-a-year holiday travelers fit the bill for this card.
This card may not be rich in travel rewards but for the couple who’s looking to go for a trip to Hawaii, this card will help you save in terms of ticket purchase. Also, if you take at least one trip with your family, that free first check-in bag will shave a considerable load of your travel expenses.