The American Express Aeroplan Business Reserve Card is a travel credit card with an annual fee of $599 issued by American Express, one of the largest credit card networks in Canada. It offers an attractive Aeroplan earn rate on travel-related purchases, plus a very generous welcome bonus of up to 120,000 Aeroplan points.
With this card, you will have access to exclusive frequent flyer programs, comprehensive travel and medical insurance, and travel benefits like access to airport lounges, priority check-in, and an Annual Worldwide Companion Pass. After you spend $5,000 on eligible purchases, you'll gain Aeroplan Elite status and gain access to even more perks.
What Is The American Express Aeroplan Business Reserve Card?
The American Express Aeroplan Business Reserve Card is a metal credit card used by American Express cardholders to earn points in Air Canada's Aeroplan loyalty program. It's the business version of the American Express Aeroplan Reserve Card, one of the best business credit cards in Canada and one of the best Aeroplan credit cards you'll find in the country.
The Business Reserve Card earns Aeroplan points, which cardholders can redeem for several types of rewards including flights, hotels and other merchandise. The card offers an excellent welcome bonus of up to 120,000 Aeroplan points.
Features of The American Express Aeroplan Business Reserve Card
The American Express Aeroplan Business Reserve Card provides various benefits to its cardholders, especially those who frequently fly. Each purchase of qualifying items or services under the program can earn points. The benefits are redeemed in various ways.
#1 Up To 120,000 Aeroplan Points Welcome Bonus
The American Express Aeroplan Business Reserve Card offers a very generous welcome bonus. If you spend $9,000 within the first 3 months you will earn 50,000 Aeroplan points, and you can earn an additional 70,000 over the next year, for a subtotal of 90,000 points. Here’s how:
- 50,000 Aeroplan points after you spend $9,000 within the first three months.
- 7,500 bonus Aeroplan points every month for the first 6 months if you spend at least $3,000 (for a maximum of 45,000 bonus points)
- 25,000 additional Aeroplan points when you make a purchase between months 14 and 17 of Cardmembership
- $199 Aeroplan Business Reserve Cards and free for the no-fee cards.
#2 Earn 3x The Points On Eligible Air Canada Purchases
The main appeal of the American Express Aeroplan Business Reserve card is how easily you can earn points on all travel-related purchases. Similar to other cashback and rewards cards, this credit card allows you to get exclusive travel perks and deals. With this card you can:
- Earn 3x Aeroplan points in every qualifying purchase with Air Canada Vacations and Air Canada
- 2x Aeroplan points for purchases in qualifying car rentals and hotels in Canada.
- 1.25x Aeroplan points to any travel or business-related purchases.
#3 Redeem Your Aeroplan Points For Travel Benefits
Aeroplan points are excellent if you’re looking to access travel benefits. Here are some of the options:
- Special offers in dining, business supplies, and travel
- $100 statement credit if you pay your NEXUS renewal fee or application using American Express Aeroplan Reserve Card every four years.
- Redeem points in hotels, vacation packages, and car rentals
- Get an upgrade in Rocky Mountaineer’s GoldLeaf Service and hotel accommodations.
- Exchange your points for discounts when booking flights
You can check the full list of offers on the official American Express Aeroplan Business Reserve Card page or the mobile app.
#4 Frequent Flyer Rewards And Access To Lounges
If you travel Air Canada often, you can take advantage of some frequent flyer perks, and the fact that this credit card includes airport lounge access. Additionally, you’ll have the option to upgrade your Aeroplan card to the Elite status – just by regularly using your card. Here are some of the benefits:
- Access to exclusive Maple Leaf Lounges.
- Priority Check-In, Boarding, and Baggage Handling when flying Air Canada
- Gain Aeroplan Elite status after you spend a total of $5,000 in qualifying purchases. You can acquire 1 Status Qualifying Segment and about 1,000 Status Qualifying Miles.
- You can access one Annual Worldwide Companion Pass offered by Air Canada. The program allows cardholders to purchase a companion economy class ticket at a $99 fixed base fare.
#5 Various Insurance Coverages
American Express protects its clients by providing them with numerous insurance for purchases, travel, and more. You can also add more travel insurance coverage by purchasing a plan. The following are the insurances offered.
- Employee Card Misuse: Provides coverages for up to $100,000 in case of an unauthorized purchase made by an employee or a supplementary cardholder.
- Travel Emergency Assistance: Covers you for legal referrals and emergency medical assistance worldwide
- Emergency Medical Insurance: Applicable when you’re travelling abroad, it covers you for a maximum of $5,000,000 on qualifying medical expenses(cardholder must be under 65 years old)
- Baggage Delay Insurance: Offers $1,000 coverage for delayed, lost, or stolen baggage within four hours.
- Flight Delay Insurance & Trip Cancellation: Provides $1,000 coverage when your flight is delayed or cancelled
- Car Rental Insurance: Cover you in case of car rental theft or damage
- Purchase Protection Plan, and Buyer’s Assurance Protection Plan.
Pros & Cons Of The American Express Aeroplan Business Reserve Card
The American Express Aeroplan Business Reserve Card offers impressive benefits, rewards, and exclusive services. Before applying for this card, read the following pros and cons.
- Comprehensive travel and medical insurance
- Generous welcome bonus (up to 120,000 Aeroplan points)
- Priority Check-In, Boarding, and Baggage Handling when flying Air Canada
- Access to exclusive Maple Leaf Lounges
- No blackout dates for the promos and rewards
- No additional fees when requesting supplementary Aeroplan Business Reserve No Fee Cards
- High annual fee ($599)
- Senior citizens that are 65 years old and above are not covered by the insurance
American Express Aeroplan Business Reserve Cardholders have fees they must pay annually and for other services. American Express may provide various interest rates and payments involving this specific card each year. Applying for the card will involve many fees for continuous usage and accessible rewards.
The following are the standard annual and other fees to be paid.
|Basic Card (Annual Fee)||$599|
|Supplement Cards (Annual Fee)||$199|
|No Fee Supplementary Cards (Annual Fee)||$0|
|Statement Reprint||$3 each statement|
|Balance Transfer or American Express cheque||3% each balance transfer and American Express cheque|
|Aeroplan Points Reinstatement||$20 per reinstatement online or $30 through service channels|
|Installment Program||Up to 8%|
Is The American Express Aeroplan Business Reserve Card Better Compared to Others?
Generally, the American Express Aeroplan Business Reserve Card has almost identical offers compared to other competing Aeroplan cards from CIBC and TD. However, the American Express Platinum and Business Platinum cards are good contenders, since they're two of the best American Express credit cards in Canada. Although these cards work similarly, they have unique features that differentiate them from each other.
The best feature of the Aeroplan Business Reserve Card is its exclusive access to special benefits and rewards. Cardholders get access to Maple Leaf Lounges. Meanwhile, the Platinum Card offers access to Priority Pass lounges worldwide and access to the world-famous Centurion Lounges, some of the most exclusive and prestigious lounges you can find. So, both Platinum cards provide more access to lounges than the Aeroplan Business Reserve Card.
American Express Platinum Card has a more expensive annual fee of $699 than the American Express Aeroplan Business Reserve Card, which has $599, but the Business Platinum is actually cheaper, running for $499. However, the Amex Platinum gives annual travel credit worth $200, making your annual fee $499 only, just like the Business Platinum which doesn't offer that travel credit. Therefore, both Platinum cards are cheaper compared to the Aeroplan Business Reserve.
The American Express Aeroplan Business Reserve Card lets the cardholders earn up to 3 points for every $1 business purchase, 3x points for qualifying Air Canada Vacations and Air Canada, 2x points for car rentals and hotels, and 1.25x points for any business or travel-related purchase.
The Platinum Card offers more accessible ways to earn points, with 3x points on dining and food delivery, 2x on travel, and one extra point for groceries and luxurious goods. Of the two, Platinum is a bit more advantageous for travellers.
How To Apply For The American Express Aeroplan Business Reserve Card In Canada
In Canada, the minimum age to request a credit card is the age of the majority. Teens under that age can’t get approved for credit cards but can be added as authorized users to one of their parent’s credit cards. For reference, the age of the majority in Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, and Saskatchewan is 18 years old. In all other provinces, the age of the majority is 19.
Canadian credit cards are available to residents and non-permanent residents. However, most premium credit cards require you to be a Canadian resident. You don't even need a credit history for other card types like prepaid and secured credit cards. At the end of the day, residency requirements will depend on the specific credit card issuer and the type of card.
Most travel credit cards in Canada require a good to excellent credit score, starting at 700. Keep in mind that the higher your credit score, the more likely your application will be accepted, and the cards with the higher requirements usually have the best intro bonuses, rewards, and benefits.
Personal Or Household Income Requirements
Not all travel credit cards have an income limit, but some premium ones have an annual income requirement ranging from $60,000-$80,000 for individuals or $100,000-$150,000 for households. These cards also require a higher credit score and come with the best travel perks.
American Express Aeroplan Business Reserve Card is an excellent companion to get perks and benefits while travelling. You can earn points in many ways, which is advantageous, so you can get back rewards when you accumulate enough points. However, there might be cards that offer better rewards than this one, but that will depend on how you use them.
American Express Aeroplan Business Reserve Card FAQs
How Much Does The American Express Aeroplan Business Reserve Card Cost?
The American Express Aeroplan Business Reserve Card has an annual fee of $599. Aside from this, there are other fees that you need to pay, such as installment programs, cash advances, and more. Contact them at 1-800-361-5373 or visit the nearest branch for more information.
Is The American Express Aeroplan Business Reserve Card Worth It?
Yes, the American Express Aeroplan Business Reserve Card is worth it for individuals who often travel by plane. It is associated with Air Canada’s Aeroplan loyalty program, which you can take advantage of in earning points while purchasing products or services. However, it will still depend on the person’s usage or needs if they want to get one or not.
Is The American Express Aeroplan Business Reserve Card Safe?
Yes, American Express Aeroplan Business Reserve Card is safe because it offers several protection insurances. Cardholders can ensure their purchases and travel are also secured due to the complementary insurance that is not only limited to purchases. Additionally, the card allows you to access exclusive benefits offered by American Express.
Is The American Express Aeroplan Business Reserve Card Legit?
Yes, American Express Aeroplan Business Reserve Card is legit. It is issued by a reputable multinational company that offers payment card services named American Express (American Express). The card is specifically designed to earn points and redeem rewards for the merchandise and services of Air Canada.
Is The American Express Aeroplan Reserve Card Metal?
Yes, the American Express Aeroplan Reserve Card is made of metal. It is precisely engraved and cut into 13 grams of metal. Similar to plastic materials, this card works as what it is designed for, and it’s more durable.
What Is The Annual Fee For An American Express Aeroplan Reserve Card?
American Express Aeroplan Reserve Card annual fee is $599, which is also similar to Aeroplan Business Reserve Card. This card may also have other fees needed to pay, which you can access when you apply for it. Visit or contact their local branches for inquiries.
Does The American Express Aeroplan Reserve Card Have Lounge Access?
Yes, the American Express Aeroplan Reserve Card has lounge access. Together with the American Express platinum card, both are premium cards with high earning rates. These cards offer special offers and benefits, which include airport lounge access.