The CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card offers up to 1.5 Aeroplan points for every $1 spent on groceries, gas, and Air Canada travel purchases. You can enjoy various travel benefits such as free first-checked baggage, luxury hotel benefits, in-room Wi-Fi access, dining events, and a wine-tasting experience.
With an annual fee of $139, the CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card is an excellent credit card for frequent travelers who love to pay for their flights with a combination of points and cash. It comes with travel insurance and covers anything from flight delays and emergencies, to stolen mobile devices. While it doesn't make the cut as one of the best Canadian credit cards, it's still a decent travel card for Canadians.
If you're looking for a premium VIP experience on your travels, the Amex Platinum is the way to go. Its perks and benefits offset the $699 annual fee several times over for frequent travellers and the massive welcome bonus alone can pay for the card for three or more years, without counting the $200 annual travel credit.
What Is The CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card?
CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card is one of the travel rewards credit cards offered by CIBC. It enables users to earn Aeroplan points while travelling to destinations across North America, South America, Atlantic, and Pacific zones. Applying for this credit card with a CIBC Smart Plus Account gives you an annual fee rebate, saving you $139 annually.
Regarding rewards, you can earn up to 2x Aeroplan points on groceries, gas, and travel purchases through the Aeroplan eStore. Enjoy its exclusive travel benefits, including free first-checked baggage, hotel and dining perks, and 24-hour complimentary concierge services.
CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card Features
Whether you read the introduction or not, it is still essential to know about the features offered by the CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite card. This will help you determine and compare if this credit card is better than its competitors.
#1 Get Up To 45,000 Aeroplan Points
For $139 per year, the CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card rewards you with up to 45,000 Aeroplan points within the first four months of your account approval. These points are enough to get a $200 Costco Shop Card or 1000 Islands Helicopter Tour for Two Experience.
To get a total of 45,000 points, you must complete the following:
- Make your first purchase at any time using the credit card
- Spend at least $1,000 in net purchases during the first 4 monthly statements periods
It would be best to refrain from abusing or manipulating this offer, such as using it for fraudulent activities, since doing this may stop you from getting rewarded by CIBC.
#2 Free First Checked Bag For Up To 8 Additional Guests
CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card gives users free first-checked baggage when they fly with Air Canada. If you apply for this credit card, you won’t need to spend more money on your first baggage. You and your 8 accompanied guests get their first baggage for free as long as you fly with the airline.
What your guests need to do is that their Aeroplan number and account must be included and be identical to the travel itinerary. Their Aeroplan number must also be linked to a valid CIBC Aeroplan credit card, like the CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card, to access the free checked baggage.
#3 Earn Up To 1.5 Aeroplan Points On Purchases
Similar to other travel rewards credit cards, CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card offers users up to 1.5 Aeroplan points upon paying for in-store and online items. You can redeem enough points for merchandise, airline tickets, donations, or personal investments.
For every $1 spent, you can earn Aeroplan points from the following
- 1.5 points – groceries, gas, and Air Canada travel purchases
- 1 point – on all other purchases
- 2x bonus points – online purchases bought from Aeroplan eStore
Suppose you have earned enough points with the credit card; you can redeem them for rewards, including
- In-store and online purchases
- Travel purchases (e.g., flights, vacation packages)
- Promotions such as lounge passes and cashback rewards
- Bill payments such as credit card balance and financial products (e.g., TFSA, RRSP)
If you want to earn even more Aeroplan points, a better strategy is to get the Amex Cobalt card that earns MR points, and transfer the points to Aeroplan at a 1:1 rate.
#4 Exclusive Visa Infinite Benefits And Services
As a CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card holder, you will surely enjoy exclusive Visa Infinite offers and services. If you are a frequent traveller, you can get free access to services and events, giving you more opportunities to engage with new people and find potential business partners.
Below are the Visa Infinite benefits for applying to this credit card
- 24-hour Visa Infinite Concierge – travel itinerary or event planning
- Visa Infinite Luxury Hotel Collection – room upgrade, late checkout, VIP Guest Status, free internet access, and breakfast
- Visa Infinite Dining Series – dining events with chefs and sommeliers
- Visa Infinite Wine Country Program – wine tastings
- Visa Infinite Screening Series – film screening passes
- Visa Infinite Troon Golf Benefit – receives 10%, 15%, or 20% discount on golf fees.
#5 Access Air Canada Travel Benefits For Authorized Users
For an extra fee of $50, Secondary Cardholders can access the same Air Canada travel benefits as you do. Each user gets a copy of the credit card and PIN but with a controlled spending limit. As a cardholder, you need to link your Aeroplan account to your Secondary credit card to give them access.
Not only do they get to have travel access, but they are also covered with insurance and rewards benefits. Just remember that you are responsible for paying all the credit card balances owed by your cardholders.
#6 Credit Card Security Features
CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card offers credit card security features that ensure you are always in good hands. Using this credit card, you are not liable for any card payments made from fraudulent acts, as mentioned in Visa’s Zero Liability Policy.
It also has two credit card alerts to notify you of every card activity, such as
- Spend Alerts – which notifies you when you spend more than your customized budget or are nearly exceeding your credit limit
- Fraud Alerts – which notifies you of potential unauthorized credit card uses
You can get notifications from these alerts through phone, email, or text. If you misplaced or got your credit card stolen, you can easily report this incident through the CIBC Mobile Banking App and CIBC Online Banking.
#7 Valuable Travel Insurance Coverage
Aside from credit card alerts and security features, this card provides insurance coverage for its users. CIBC offers a certificate of insurance to protect you from flight delays, travel accidents, or stolen mobile devices.
Its insurance coverage includes
- Out-Of-Province Emergency Travel Insurance
- Flight Delay and Baggage Insurance
- Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption Insurance
- Hotel Burglary Insurance
- Auto Rental Collision and Loss Damage Insurance
- Mobile Device Insurance
- Common Carrier Accident Insurance
- CIBC Payment Protector Insurance for Credit Cards (Optional)
CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card Pros And Cons
- Get a one-time annual fee rebate for the primary cardholder
- Receive up to 45,000 Aeroplan points within the first four months
- Earn up to 1.5 Aeroplan points on groceries, gas, Air Canada travel purchases, and everything else
- Free first checked bag for you and up to 8 other companions for every flight with Air Canada
- Enjoy exclusive Visa Infinite perks with luxury hotel benefits, culinary and wine events, and 24-hour complimentary concierge services
- Calculate your Aeroplan points by estimating your monthly expenses with the Aeroplan Points Calculator
- It has broad insurance coverage that guarantees your flights, purchases, accommodations, and trips
- It is not best for people who prefer other airlines other than Air Canada
- A personal minimum income requirement of $60,000 and a household minimum annual income of $100,000
- A $139 yearly fee for the primary card and a $50 extra fee for additional credit cards
- You only get an annual fee rebate if you have a CIBC Smart Plus Account
- It has a purchase rate of 20.99% and a cash interest rate of 22.99% or 21.99% if you reside in Quebec
For only $139 per year, the CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card offers many travel benefits and rewards. However, there are a lot of other credit cards to consider – for example, the RBC Avion Visa Infinite Card. To decide which credit card is more efficient, it is best to check each credit card’s features, rewards, and insurance coverage.
|CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card||RBC Avion Visa Infinite Card|
|Annual Fee||$139 (with an annual fee rebate every year*)||$120|
|Additional Credit Card Fee||$50||$50|
|Minimum Personal Income||$60,000||$60,000|
|Minimum Household Income||$100,000||$100,000|
|Cash Interest Rate||22.99% or 21.99% if you reside in Quebec||22.99% or 21.99% if you reside in Quebec|
|Interest-Free Grace Period||21 days||21 days|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Rate||2.5%||2.5%|
|Cash Advance Fee||$5||$5|
* This only applies if you have a CIBC Smart Plus Account
There’s less to worry about when it comes to your purchases with this credit card. The CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card provides coverage for eligible items against damages or losses for up to 90 days. It also offers an Extended Warranty, which automatically extends your purchases’ warranty for up to one additional year.
CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card is your go-to travel rewards credit card, especially if you prefer to book flights with Air Canada. For an annual fee of $139, you can get your money’s worth since it gives you exclusive travel benefits such as Aeroplan points, free first-checked baggage, luxury hotel perks, dining and wine experiences, room upgrades, and golf discounts.
You can also ensure your safety and protection since it covers your flights, purchases, and mobile device with insurance on every flight.
CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card FAQs
How much does CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card cost?
The CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card costs an annual fee of $139 and an extra fee of $50 for additional credit cards. This is slightly more than other travel cards like the Marriott Bonvoy card, which costs $120.
Is CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card worth it?
Yes, the CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card is worth it. For only a $139 fee per year, you can enjoy free first-checked baggage, redeemable Aeroplan points and rewards, complimentary concierge services, hotel benefits, discounted flights, and more.
Is CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card safe?
Yes, CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card is safe to use. It is equipped with credit card alerts that notify you of fraudulent or unauthorized use by email or online message. You can lock or report your missing credit card with a few clicks through the CIBC Mobile Banking App and CIBC Online Banking.
What credit score is needed for CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card?
The credit score needed for the CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card is within a good credit score rating. It is usually 650 or greater, and having this credit score makes it easy to get approved. Other good Canadian cards, like the Gold American Express card, have similar credit score requirements.
Does the CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card have lounge access?
No, the CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card does not have any lounge access. If you wish to have lounge access on your travels, you should apply for the CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege credit card.
How many Aeroplan Miles do I need to fly from Canada to Europe?
The Aeroplan Miles you need to fly from Canada to Europe depend on the distance and flight classes. For example, the miles you need for an economy class with 0 – 4,000 distance (in miles) is 35,000 Aeroplan Miles. For more information about Aeroplan flights and rewards, it would be helpful to visit its page.