The RBC Avion Visa Infinite Credit Card enables users to earn Avion points for every dollar they spend on daily or travel-related purchases. Applying for this credit card welcomes you with up to 55,000 points, enough to travel worldwide, and to receive exclusive benefits from Petro-Canada, Rexall, DoorDash, and Hertz.
With an annual fee of $120, this travel/rewards credit card is undoubtedly best for frequent travelers. Not only is it suitable for its redeemable rewards, but the RBC Avion Visa Infinite Credit Card ensures its users are safe and protected against delayed flights, damaged purchases, car rental collisions, and mobile device theft when traveling.
What Is The RBC Avion Visa Infinite Credit Card?
The RBC Avion Visa Infinite Credit Card is one of the travel credit cards offered by the Royal Bank of Canada that’s been in this industry for more than 150 years, expanding across Canada, The United States, and select global markets. This card satisfies all your requirements, both at home and abroad. Every $1 you spend with your credit card earns you 1 Avion point, plus an additional 25% when you book and pay for travel with your card. There are no seat restrictions and blackout periods even in busy seasons; you can fly anytime if a seat is available.
Upon enrolment, you are given 55,000 Avion points as a welcome bonus with a minimum spend of $5,000 for the first six months. You can redeem these for a wide selection of rewards, including merchandise, travel purchases, gift cards, or bill payments. You are also guaranteed access to an ever-growing catalog of exclusive experiences, offers, and benefits from The Avion Collection.
RBC Avion Visa Infinite Credit Card will not only keep your finances secure, but as their user, you are entitled to profound insurance coverage to keep you and your loved ones safe and protected.
RBC Avion Visa Infinite Credit Card Features
The market is flooded with travel credit cards. Thus, the RBC Avion Visa Infinite Credit Card offers you flexibility, independence, and protection in addition to these advantages and bonuses. With an annual fee of $120, this credit card offers multiple ways to get your money’s worth.
#1 Avion Points And Rewards Flexibility
RBC Avion Visa Infinite Credit Card offers a variety of perks and rewards. It is very notable for its flexibility in its rewards programs. For every dollar you spend, you earn 1 Avion point, which you can redeem with tickets, merchandise, or pay your bills. Reward points are also convertible to other rewards programs from different airlines, British Airway Avios, Asia Miles (Cathay Pacific), WestJet Rewards, Hudson’s Bay Rewards, and American Airlines.
The following is the summary of what the RBC Avion Visa Infinite Credit Card offers:
1. Welcome Bonus points (until January 31, 2023)
You can get up to 55,000 points (equivalent to $1,100) and use them to travel anywhere in the Caribbean and North America.
2. RBC Avion Points
You can earn 1 Avion point for every $1 spent, plus 25% off qualifying travel-related purchases.
3. Avioners Benefits
For travel purchases, using the Air Travel Redemption Schedule guides you on how to use your Avion points. Note that this excludes applicable taxes, surcharges, and other service fees. Other than that, you can also use these points for merchandise or as payments to your bills.
- Travel purchases – you can redeem your Avion points for airline tickets, hotel bookings, car rentals, vacation packages, and more.
- Purchases and Bill Payments – you can convert your points into cash-like value for donations, RBC Direct Investing, household expenses, in-store and online purchases, loans, and mortgages.
- Merchandise – you can buy the latest personal and household items with your points. These include Apple Tech, Best products, household, and personal items, sports gear, gift cards, and more.
4. Exclusive Rewards from the RBC Avion Visa Infinite Credit Card
The RBC Avion Visa Card has limited benefits and perks, unlike the RBC Avion Visa Infinite Credit Card. This upgraded version includes the following advantages such as:
- Room upgrades
- Free Wi-Fi access
- Complimentary breakfast
- Late checkout
- Access to the finest restaurants in Canada
- Take advantage of complimentary wine tastings and discounted deliveries from Ontario and British Columbia vineyards.
- Additional in-person benefits at Sonoma Valley wineries
#2 Extra Rewards And Points From Petro-Canada, Rexall, DoorDash, And Hertz
With these partnerships, you can quickly accumulate more points using your RBC Avion Visa Infinite Credit Card. Link your credit card to theirs and become their loyal customer. Earning more points means more savings and more fun.
- Petro-Canada – save 3¢ per litre of gasoline and get 20% more points.
- Rexall – receive 50 additional Be Well points for every $1 spent.
- DoorDash – get free food deliveries for 12 months on orders of $15 or more (on qualifying restaurants)
- Hertz – save 20% at Hertz and earn three times Avion points
To learn more about each store’s promotion, you can visit the credit card page here and follow their instructions to get the rewards.
#3 Broad Travel Insurance Coverage
RBC Avion Visa Infinite Credit Card offers you extensive insurance coverage to prevent you from unexpected circumstances. The scope for this insurance is underwritten by RBC Insurance Company of Canada and Aviva General Insurance Company. Take note that RBC will only activate these insurance products if the entire trip is charged to your card. The following is the full insurance coverage offered by RBC.
1. Out of Province or Country Emergency Medical Insurance
If you are younger than 65, coverage is offered for the first fifteen (15) consecutive days of your trip; if you are older than 65, coverage is provided for the first three (3) consecutive days of your vacation. Top-up coverage is available if you are travelling more than the days specified for the coverage.
2. Travel Accident Insurance (up to $500,000)
This insurance covers trips outside your home province or territory. It ensures you in the event of an accident that results in a loss, including death while travelling on a common carrier.
3. Auto Rental Collision/Loss Damage Insurance
Auto Rental Collision or Loss Damage Insurance gives you insurance regarding the loss or damage of the impaired or stolen rental vehicle. However, it does not insure any third-party liability coverage.
4. Trip Cancellation & Trip Interruption Insurance (up to $25,000)
The maximum amount covered under the Trip Cancellation Insurance for each covered person is $1,500 per trip to an overall maximum of $5,000.
On the other hand, the maximum amount covered under Trip Interruption Insurance for each covered person is $5,000 per trip to an overall maximum of $25,000.
5. Emergency Purchases and Flight Delay Insurance (up to $2,500)
The maximum coverage for reasonable and necessary expenses under Emergency Purchases Insurance is $500 per occurrence for each covered person and a combined maximum of $2,500 for all covered persons.
The maximum coverage for reasonable and necessary expenses under Flight Delay Insurance is $250 per occurrence per covered person, with a combined limit of $500 per occurrence for all covered persons.
6. Hotel/Motel Burglary Insurance (up to $2,500)
The personal items that were stolen or destroyed due to a break-in is only eligible for a maximum compensation of $2,500 per occurrence.
7. Purchase Security & Extended Warranty Insurance (up to $50,000)
For ninety (90) days from the date of purchase, Purchase Security Insurance covers direct unintentional physical loss or damage to personal goods or presents you’ve bought with your RBC Avion Visa Infinite Credit Card or with RBC Rewards points. The maximum coverage per RBC Avion Visa Infinite Credit Card per year is $50,000 or the corresponding number of RBC Rewards points.
8. Mobile Device Insurance (up to $1,500)
The loss, theft, unintentional damage, or mechanical failure of a mobile device that was purchased using your RBC Avion Visa Infinite Credit Card or RBC Rewards points are covered up to $1,500.
Other credit card options like the Amex Platinum offer similar, if not better, travel insurance coupled with even more perks and travel benefits. Cards like the Marriott Bonvoy also offer free nights at amazing hotels worldwide.
#4 Optional Add-On Services
RBC Avion Visa Infinite Credit Card offers additional services to protect your identity, family, and finances. Whether you are on a road trip or have had your credit card stolen, RBC is one call away to solve any of your emergencies and issues. As seen from the screenshot above, there are four optional services that RBC offers.
1. RBC Road Assist
Roadside assistance is available whenever you need it – even when you are in your vehicle. This can protect you, your family, and your car with 24/7 customer support in Canada and the U.S.
- Roadside Assistance – get help whether you need a battery jump-start, a tow service, or a flat tire.
- 24/7 Accident Support – get in touch with the RBC team anytime and anywhere in North America. RBC can offer a tow, a car rental, lodging reimbursement, or even a lawyer depending on the coverage you need.
- Car Passenger Insurance – regardless of the car you’re in, you, your family member, and children aged 16-22 who reside in the same household are covered.
- RBC Road Assist App – reviews and assists you on road trips.
2. BalanceProtector Max Insurance ($25,000 maximum benefit)
BalanceProtector Max Insurance prevents your credit card balance from burdening you and your family. You will not pay anything when your balance is less than $10, but if you do, you will pay $1.20 per $100 of your account balance. There are three ways in which this insurance can cover you.
- Job Loss Insurance
- Total Disability Insurance
- Life Coverage Insurance
3. Identity Theft & Credit Protection
As soon as you use the internet, your identity is not as safe as you think. Thieves can steal your identity using skimming, shoulder surfing, phishing, and dumpster diving. You can have 30 days of free access to FirstReport-ID and FirstReport-Advantage, which provides you with limited usage of the following:
- 24/7 Online Identity Monitoring
- Credit Score & Credit Report
- Historical Alert Scan
- SMS & Email Alerts
- Identity Restoration
RBC Avion Visa Infinite Credit Card Pros And Cons
- Earn up to 1.25 Avion points on everyday or travel purchases, which you can redeem for merchandise, gift cards, travel purchases, or financial rewards
- Get up to 20% off at Hertz and earn 3x the points.
- Receive 50 Be Well points for every $1 spent at Rexall
- Save up to 3¢ per litre in any grade of gasoline or diesel, and earn a bonus of 20% more Petro-Points and Avion Points at Petro-Canada.
- Eligible for up to 12 months of free DashPass subscription
- Choose any flight, airline, and time as travel rewards with no cutoff dates or seat limitations.
- It has broad insurance coverage, including emergency medical, travel, credit card purchases, and mobile device insurance.
- A reasonable annual fee of $120 and an extra fee of $50 for additional credit cards
- It requires a minimum personal income of $60,000 or a minimum household income of $100,000 to qualify for this card.
- The 20% off discount and Triple the Points at Hertz are only valid at participating sites in Canada and the United States. This promotion is not valid at Hertz franchise locations.
- You must spend a minimum of $5,000 within six months to be eligible for an additional 20,000 Avion points to receive the 55,000 bonus points.
- You still must spend a minimum of $15 per order to get free deliveries from DoorDash.
- You still have to pay fees, taxes, and carrier surcharges when you redeem your Avion points for tickets.
- If your minimum payment is not made by the payment due date and it is not paid by the time RBC generates your following statement two or more times in any 12 months, your interest rates will rise to 24.99% on purchases and 27.99% (26.99% if you live in Quebec) on cash advances.
RBC Avion Visa Infinite Credit Card Pricing
Despite the perks and benefits offered by the RBC Avion Visa Infinite Credit Card, it still comes at a $120 annual fee. This fee is charged on the first day of the month after the account’s opening date. It is not just the annual fee you must be aware of but also the hidden fees of every transaction you do. You can see the table below and learn more about these underlying charges.
|Interest and Fees
|Additional Card Fee
|Minimum Personal Income
|Minimum Household Income
|Cash Advance Rate
|22.99% or 21.99% if you reside in Quebec
|Interest-Free Grace Period
|$10 plus interest and fees plus Total Monthly Plan Payments
|Foreign Currency Conversion
|Cash Advance Fee
|Balance Transfer Promotional Rate Fee
|Up to 3%
|$5 – monthly statement$1.50 – for each statement update at an ATM or branch$2 – for each transaction receipt that does not relate to the current statement
|Installment Plan Fee*
|Up to 3% – one-time fee
Up to 1.15% – monthly fee
* This fee does not apply if you reside in Quebec
The RBC Avion Visa Infinite Credit Card offers Avion points for every dollar you spend on daily and travel-related purchases. For a $120 annual fee with a welcome bonus of 55,000 points (a value of up to $1,100), this travel card is an excellent choice for a frequent traveller that can take full advantage of its perks. Suppose you’re not interested in redeeming points for tickets. Other ways to enjoy them include purchasing items from Apple and Best Buy, paying credit and household bills, giving to charity donations, and giving gift cards.
Another way to enjoy your card is to use it to take advantage of discounts and rewards from Petro-Canada, DoorDash, Hertz, and Rexall. Lastly, the RBC Avion Visa Infinite Credit Card is good for its generous bonuses and insurance coverage to keep you and your family safe and secure.
On the other hand, while it does offer good returns on your purchases, few can compete with one of the best Amex cards on the market, the American Express Cobalt card. For a similar annual fee to the RBC Avion Visa Infinite, you can earn back as much as 10% or more on everyday purchases, both in Canada and abroad.
RBC Avion Visa Infinite Credit Card FAQs
How much does the RBC Avion Visa Infinite Credit Card cost?
The RBC Avion Visa Infinite Credit Card costs an annual fee of $120 and an extra fee of $50 for additional credit cards. The yearly fees are charged on the first day of the month following the account opening date.
Is RBC Avion Visa Infinite Credit Card worth it?
Yes, the RBC Avion Visa Infinite Credit Card is worth it, especially if you are a frequent traveller. While it doesn't make the cut as one of the best in the country, it's still a decent card. The Avion points you earned can be redeemed for airline tickets, with a free one-way trip starting at just 7,500 points. Additionally, you can redeem your Avion points for other rewards. These are:
- In-store and online purchases
- Cash-like value (e.g., credit card and household bill payments, Interac e-Transfer transactions, donations, investments)
- Gift cards
- Other travel purchases (e.g., hotel accommodations, car rentals, vacation packages)
Is the RBC Avion Visa Infinite Credit Card safe?
Yes, the RBC Avion Visa Infinite Credit Card is safe to use. The RBC Digital Banking Security Guarantee protects you against any eligible digital transactions you did not authorize or make. For example, this credit card has a lock feature where you can temporarily block any withdrawals or purchases, either online or in-person.
Is the RBC Avion Visa Infinite Credit Card legit?
Yes, RBC Avion Visa Infinite Credit Card is Legit. RBC was founded in 1869 and has been one of Canada’s Big Six banks. In the event of a sudden collapse, its customers’ deposits are insured by Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation (CDIC) for up to $100,000.
What are the benefits of the RBC Avion Visa Infinite Credit Card?
The benefits of the RBC Avion Visa Infinite Credit Card are Avion points, where you can earn 1 point for every $1 you spend. You can redeem these for travel purchases, merchandise, gift cards, or financial rewards. Having this card gives you unique benefits from well-known companies, including
- Free 12-month DashPass
- Save 20% at Hertz and get three times Avion points.
- Petro-Canada savings and discounts
- 50 additional Be Well points for every $1 spent at Rexall
Do RBC Avion Infinite Credit Card points expire?
No, the RBC Avion Infinite points do not expire. However, Avion points will be cancelled if they remain unredeemed within 90 days after the termination of the Avion Rewards program or after you voluntarily close your RBC credit card account.
Does the RBC Avion Visa Infinite Credit Card have lounge access?
No, the RBC Avion Visa Infinite Credit Card does not have lounge access. If you wish to add this to your travel experience, apply for an RBC Avion Visa Infinite Privilege credit card.