The RBC ION+ Visa Credit Card credit card is a travel credit card issued by the Royal Bank of Canada, one of the largest banks in Canada. It comes with a very generous welcome bonus of 12,000 Avion points that you can redeem for flights, packaged holidays, hotel stays, tech products, and employee incentives.
With this card, you will earn bonus points when filling up at Petro-Canada gas stations, and it covers you and your business for trip cancellation or interruption, car rental, and extends the warranty on eligible travel purchases. The RBC ION+ Visa Credit Card has a low total annual fee of just $48, making it an accessible option to earn Avion points.
What Is The RBC ION+ Visa Credit Card?
The RBC ION+ Visa Credit Card is a personal travel credit card offered by RBC under the rewards category. It's a premium alternative to the RBC ION Visa credit card, if you want to access additional rewards, benefits, and services that the ION Visa doesn't offer. This card is charges a monthly fee of $4 (or $48 yearly), and it comes with a very generous welcome bonus of 12,000 Avion points.
The RBC ION+ Visa Credit Card offers 3x times more Avion points than the regular RBC ION Visa credit card on select spending categories, and you can redeem your Avion points for in-store and online purchases, bill payments, travel, and more. In this review, we will go over all the features of this card, including some unique RBC perks.
Features Of The RBC ION+ Visa Credit Card
#1 Monthly Fee Rebates
The annual fee for the RBC ION+ Visa credit card is $48, or $4 every month. If you also have an RBC Signature No Limit Banking or RBC Advantage Banking (for students) credit card, you are entitled to a yearly monthly rebate if your account remains in good standing.
Other credit cards that are eligible for the rebates are:
- Signature RBC Rewards Visa
- Visa Cash Back Card
- WestJet RBC MasterCard
Keep in mind that student credit cards like the RBC Advantage Banking credit card may not qualify for the rebate after you graduate from the university. This is because RBC automatically changes your student bank account into a regular account.
#2 Earn 3x Avion Points On Eligible Purchases
With the RBC ION+ Visa credit card, you will earn 3x Avion points in select categories including groceries, transportation and gas, restaurants, gaming, and entertainment. Like the RBC ION Visa credit card, you will also earn 1 Avion point on pre-authorized bill payments.
#3 Avion Rewards Catalogue
There are multiple ways to redeem your Avion points by opening the Avion Rewards Catalogue with the Avion Rewards app. As seen from the image above, you can download the app on App Store or Google Play Store and check your rewards quickly by unlocking it. Besides managing your points, you can shop within the app and find out the latest cash back deals from 1,900 retail stores. You can read the list below for more questions regarding what products you can exchange for your Avion rewards.
Avion points can be redeemed for hundreds of products, including:
- Travel purchases (e.g., airline tickets, hotels, cruises, car rentals, etc.)
- Credit card and household bill payments
- Gift cards
- In-store and online purchases (e.g., latest tech products from Apple and Best Buy)
- Loan and mortgage payments
- RBC registered and non-registered plans
- Banking transactions
You can also upgrade your Avion Rewards by joining the new Avion Premium and Avion Elite Membership. Having the highest membership level, you may experience Elite-level offers such as access to Air Travel Redemption and The Avion Collection.
#4 Insurance And Protection
With RBC ION+ Visa, not only will you get insured with your credit card purchases, but the insurance will also cover your mobile phone. You can get three insurances from the offer with this card: Mobile Device Insurance, Purchase Security, and Extended Warranty.
- Mobile Device Insurance – get up to two years of coverage and up to $1,000 in expenses if your phone is lost or damaged when you purchase your phone with a credit card.
- Purchase Security – protects your merchandise against loss, damage, or theft within 90 days.
- Extended Warranty – extends the warranty on the products you buy.
#5 Multiple Partnerships With Petro-Canada, Rexall, DoorDash
The RBC ION+ Visa credit card is part of the RBC rewards program with companies like Petro-Canada, Rexall, and DoorDash.
- Petro-Canada: Save 3¢ per litre on any grade of gasoline or diesel you buy at Petro-Canada, and earn 20% more Petro-Points and Avion Points when you pay with a linked RBC credit card.
- Rexall: Earn 50 Be Well points for every $1 spent when you purchase items at any Rexall retail store. You must pay with a linked RBC credit card and scan your Be Well card at the counter.
- DoorDash: Free deliveries for orders of $15 or more for three months with DoorDash. You also need to activate the DashPass subscription and use your linked RBC ION Visa credit card when your order from DoorDash.
#6 Mobile Pay
With Mobile Pay, you can make everyday purchases easier with just one tap of your phone or smartwatch. All you have to do is link your RBC ION+ Visa credit card to your phone or watch. Supported payment methods include Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay, and Fitbit Pay for purchases up to $250. Make sure the store accepts contactless or debit payments when you use this option.
#7 Optional Add-On Protection
You can take advantage of the four optional protections when using your RBC ION+ Visa credit card – for a small fee. Paying extra for these add-ons may help protect your identity, family, and credit card balance from fraudulent activities.
- BalanceProtector Insurance
- Identity Theft & Credit Protection
- RBC Road Assist
- Travel Insurance
Pros & Cons Of RBC ION+ Visa
- 12,000 Avion points welcome bonus
- No fees for requesting additional cards
- Pay your purchases conveniently with a tap with Mobile Pay.
- Get $4 fee rebates monthly when you have an RBC Signature No Limit Banking or RBC Advantage Banking account.
- Earn 3x Avion points for every dollar spent on groceries, deliveries, gas, transportation, and entertainment
- Earn 1 Avion point on other qualifying purchases
- You can redeem points to pay bills, send money, buy in-store and online purchases, or book flights and hotels.
- Save 3 cents per litre and earn 20% more Petro-Points and Avion Points when you buy gas at Petro-Canada.
- Receive 50 Be Well Points when you pay with your linked RBC credit card
- Complimentary 3-month DoorDashFree subscription (worth $30)
- Get insured and protected with Purchase Security, Extended Warranty, and Mobile Device Insurance.
- Convenient customer support you can contact via phone or in-person at any RBC branch
- A $48 annual fee charged as $4 per month
- A high APR of 19.99% on purchases and 22.99% on cash advances (decreased to 21.99% if you reside in Quebec)
- Minimum redemption of $10 when you use your points as bill payments or cash transaction
Aside from the RBC ION+ Visa credit card, there is another option if you do not like spending on any monthly credit card bills. This is where the RBC ION Visa takes place. This credit card does not charge you for any annual fees, though you may only earn its primary rewards and benefits. For additional information, you can compare these two credit cards below with the Scotiabank American Express Credit Card for more rewards credit card options.
|Details||RBC ION Visa||RBC ION+ Visa||Scotiabank American Express Card|
|Best For||Individuals who value flexible rewards by earning points on purchases||Individuals who are willing to pay a small fee for more significant rewards and are monthly users of food deliveries and subscriptions||Individuals prefer to avoid annual fees while earning rewards and benefits from purchases at Sobeys, Safeways, FreshCo, Foodland, etc.|
|Welcome Bonus||6,000 Avion points upon approval||12,000 Avion points upon approval||10,000 Scene+ points within the first year|
|Annual Fee||$0||$48 annually (charged as $4 monthly)||$0|
|Cash Advance and Balance Transfer APR||22.99%²||22.99%²||22.99%|
|Cash Withdrawal Fee||$5||$5||$5|
|Grace Period||21 days||21 days||21 days|
|Reward Points||Earn up to 1.5x Avion points for every $1 spent on groceries, gas, transportation, entertainment, in-game purchases, and more||Earn up to 3x Avion points for every $1 spent on groceries, dining, transportation, digital gaming, subscriptions, etc.||Earn up to 3x Scene+ points on every $1 you spend at Sobeys, Safeway, FreshCo, etc., and other purchases on groceries, food deliveries, entertainment, gas, streaming services, and daily transit.|
RBC ION+ Visa is your go-to rewards credit card if you spend a lot or are interested in earning 3x Avion points on your everyday purchases. Apart from the 3x Avion points and 12,000 welcome bonus, its offers are similar to the RBC ION Visa. It provides the same benefits when you shop at Petro-Canada, Rexall, or DoorDash, and it has identical credit card features whenever you misplace your credit card. However, the RBC ION+ Visa may benefit you since it covers up to $1,000 (2 years protection) of mobile device insurance if there is any damage or mechanical failure when you purchase it with your credit card. Thus, it would be best to compare this credit card to tell if this is the right one for your finances.
RBC ION+ Visa Credit Card FAQs
How Much Does The RBC ION+ Visa Credit Card Cost?
RBC ION+ Visa costs $48 per year or $4 per month with no extra fees on additional credit cards. You can also get a monthly rebate of $4 if you have an RBC Signature No Limit Banking or RBC Advantage Banking account if you are a student.
This annual fee is very low compared to most other options. Although there are cards without an annual fee, like the CT Triangle Mastercard, most other cards charge more than $100, like the Marriott Bonvoy, which costs $120, the Cobalt. which costs $156, and the Gold card, which costs $250.
Is The RBC ION+ Visa Worth It?
RBC ION+ Visa may or may not be worth it in two ways – annual fees and rewards. RBC ION+ Visa may be worth it if you own a rewards credit card with annual payments for more significant rewards. However, it may not be worth it since its rewards are the same as the RBC ION Visa. The only difference is that you earn 3x Avion points on purchases.
Is The RBC ION+ Visa Safe?
Yes, RBC ION+ Visa is safe because it has a credit card lock feature where you can lock your credit card whenever you misplace or lose your credit card. It also has insurance and protection for your card purchases and mobile device, so you can guarantee that your possessions are covered at all times.
How Do I Pay My RBC ION+ Visa Credit Card?
You can pay your RBC Visa in eight ways – online banking, mobile banking, telephone banking, automated payments, RBC ATM, in-person appointment, mail, or through RBC credit card inquiry.
Can I Use My RBC ION+ Visa Credit Card In the US?
Yes, you can use your RBC Visa credit card in the US. The Visa network is accepted worldwide, but keep in mind you will have to pay a 2.5% foreign currency conversion fee. This is the case with most credit cards; even premium cards like the Platinum charge the same foreign currency transaction fee.
Is It Easy To Close A Credit Card?
It depends – if you don’t have any outstanding balance, you can usually close your account without hassle. If you have an outstanding balance, you must pay it off or risk incurring even more interest and your credit score may take a hit.