The TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card is a TD credit card that earns Aeroplan points on all purchases. It comes with a welcome bonus of up to 25,000 Aeroplan points and an Aeroplan Buddy Pass that adds an additional 30,000 points on top of that. Together with these bonuses and the annual fee waiver during the first year, the welcome bonus offer has a total value north of $1,250.
For a $139 annual fee, you’ll get rewarded with 1.5 Aeroplan points per every dollar spent on Air Canada products and services, gas and grocery purchases (capped at $80,000) and 1 point per dollar on every other purchase.
The card also brings in comprehensive travel insurance that includes travel medical insurance (even for seniors), trip interruption, cancellation and delay insurance, hotel burglary insurance and more. It also comes with great Visa Infinite benefits such as a 24/7 concierge service, complimentary wine tastings and more.
This is a good travel card but it’s not the best. It’s also a good everyday use card, but it’s not the best either. In short, it’s a good option to keep at hand wherever other more rewarding cards aren’t accepted.
|Welcome Bonus Points||25,000|
|Points Earned Per $1 Spent On Travel||1.5|
|Earn Rate on Groceries &Gas||1.5|
|Points Earned Per $1 Spent On All Other Card Purchases||1|
|Visa Infinite Dining Series||✔|
|Visa Infinite Luxury Hotel Collection||✔|
|Visa Infinite Wine Country Program||✔|
|Visa Infinite Concierge||✔|
|Comprehensive Travel Insurance||✔|
|Annual Fee||$139 (waived for the first year)$75 for each additional card (3 max, also waived for the first year)|
Features & Benefits of the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card
#1 Welcome Bonus
The TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card comes with a very generous 25,000 Aeroplan points welcome bonus. The bonus is split into 2 parts:
- 10,000 Aeroplan points after making the first purchase.
- Residents outside of Quebec will receive an additional 15,000 Aeroplan points if they make $1,000 or more in net purchases with their new card in the first 3 months of card membership.
- Quebec residents will receive the same 15,000 Aeroplan points additional bonus just by keeping their account active and in good standing during the first 3 months of card membership.
This welcome bonus alone is worth up to $500 if you redeem them for flights with Air Canada within Canada, and around $350 if you use them to book flights to the US or Europe.
If you meet the spending requirements to earn the second 15,000 points, you’ll also get a complimentary companion ticket, as described below.
The Aeroplan Buddy Pass
Apart from the welcome bonus, if you apply for your TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card before December 5th, 2021, you will receive an Aeroplan Buddy Pass. The Buddy Pass is a complimentary economy class, round-trip or one-way flight ticket for one companion to travel on the same itinerary as the primary cardholder within North America (Canada, the US including Hawaii, and Mexico).
The Buddy Pass itself is worth around $350 and expires after 1 year. However, you can get more value out of it by converting it to Aeroplan points. Aeroplan currently offers the opportunity to convert your Buddy Pass into 30,000 Aeroplan points, which you can redeem for any flight you can pay in cash.
This lets you get much more value from the Buddy Pass (up to $600 to be exact) and your Aeroplan points won’t expire after one year. You’ll have to hurry, though, because this offer ends on November 30, 2021.
Annual Fee Waiver
Last but not least, along with your Aeroplan welcome bonus points, you also get the annual fee waived for the first year. This adds an additional $139 in value for the primary card plus up to 3x$75 for 3 additional cards during the first year alone.
#2 Earn Rates
While it may not be the best credit card for earning rewards, the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card offers an above-average earn rate of 1.5 Aeroplan points on three important purchase categories, namely,
- Any of Air Canada’s products or services, including Air Canada Vacations.
- Gas purchases.
- Grocery purchases
You also earn 1 Aeroplan point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
It’s important to note that the 1.5x bonus earn rate is capped annually at $80,000 in total purchases in gas, groceries or Air Canada products (or at 120,000 points). After that, you’ll receive the normal rate of 1 Aeroplan point per dollar on all categories.
Earning Points Twice
As with most Aeroplan credit cards, apart from the points you earn for using your card, whenever you make a purchase on a partner merchant and give your Aeroplan number, you will earn additional points corresponding to the loyalty reward points you would normally earn for those purchases.
The above implies that you can double-dip on Aeroplan points with your TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card.
For example, if you’re booking travel through Air Canada’s website, you could be earning up to 4.5 points per dollar of which 3 points come for booking airfare through Air Canada as a member of the Aeroplan loyalty program, and the other 1.5 points for paying with your Aeroplan credit card. That adds up to a return of up to 9% on your purchase, which is definitely not bad at all.
#3 Travel Benefits
The TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card is loaded with travel benefits both for the primary cardholder and for any of three additional cardholders, provided their Aeroplan accounts are linked to yours.
- Free first checked bag: Both you as the primary cardholder, additional cardholders and travel companions travelling on the same reservation with Air Canada (up to 8 in total), will receive a complimentary 27 kg free checked bag.
- A NEXUS pass application rebate every 4 years: Both you and the additional cardholders can receive a rebate of up to $100 on their NEXUS pass application, saving both time and money.
- Visa Infinite Concierge: Since it is a Visa Infinite card, this credit card comes with access to a complimentary 27/7 concierge service that will help you with many different requests during your travels or when you’re at home.
- Visa Infinite Luxury Hotel Collection: This is another Visa Infinite perk. It offers things like automatic room upgrades, free Wi-Fi, best price guarantee and several other perks at 900 different luxury properties worldwide.
- Emergency travel assistance: This perk delivers valuable help when you have an emergency while traveling. This service can help you replace lost or stolen documents and flight tickets, it can provide emergency translation services and more.
While these perks are good, when it comes to travel cards this credit card falls short because it doesn’t offer any sort of lounge access. Most other travel cards do.
The TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card comes with a well-rounded comprehensive travel insurance package. This package includes:
- $1 million Travel Medical Insurance that even covers seniors over 65 for the first 4 days of the trip. Everyone else is covered for the first 21 days.
- Trip cancellation/interruption insurance that covers up to $1,500 for cancellation and $5,000 for trip interruption per insured traveller. Both policies are capped at $5,000 and $25,000 respectively.
- $500 in flight /trip delay insurance if your trip or flight is delayed for more than 4 hours.
- Up to $1,000 in delayed or lost baggage insurance.
- $500,000 travel accident insurance when travelling on a common carrier.
- $2,500 in hotel/motel burglary insurance to protect your personal belongings when you travel.
- $1,000 mobile device insurance
- 48-day car rental collision/loss damage insurance.
As you can see, this credit card brings in everything you may need in terms of insurance when you’re on the road or in the air. Paying for your travel arrangements with your TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card will go a long way in giving you some peace of mind when you travel.
Also, the fact that it offers travel medical insurance for travellers over 65 years old is a big plus, even if it is for just the first 4 days of the trip. This is something most other credit cards (even good travel cards) don’t offer.
#5 Additional Benefits
Apart from the mentioned travel perks and the Aeroplan points earn rates, the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card also comes with other extras that include:
- The Visa Infinite Dining Series
- Visa Infinite Wine Country Program
- Special discounts on Avid and Budget car rentals.
Alternatives To The TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card
The TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card does a good job as a travel card, but it doesn’t stand out. Besides missing lounge access that can greatly improve your travel experience, it doesn’t offer a particularly attractive return on your purchases since the 1.5x earn rate on travel isn’t great, compared to other options. Also, the annual fee and the low earn rates on everyday expenses don’t let this card stand out as a great option for everyday use either.
That said, here are our top picks for the best cards in Canada in three different categories.
#1 The Best Low-Fee Card
For just $12.99/month, the American Express Cobalt Card earns you 5x the points on food and drinks, which is roughly equivalent to 10-15% cash back. That means you’re essentially saving 10-15% on every food and drink purchase, including groceries, cafes, bars, and food delivery.
On top of that, Cobalt cardholders get a $100 USD annual hotel credit, complimentary hotel upgrades, and comprehensive mobile phone insurance. As a result of all these features and benefits, the Cobalt Card has been one of the top-rated credit cards in Canada since it was released back in 2018.
#2 The Best Travel Card
Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards points (valued at $2,000 – $3,000) with the American Express Platinum Card, plus a $200 annual travel credit. Plus, you get the Platinum Concierge and are covered by American Express’ award-winning travel insurance on every trip.
As if that wasn’t enough, Platinum cardholders also get free airport lounge access at more than 1,000 airports around the world. And trust me when I say that once you start using airport lounges, you never, ever want to go back to travelling without them again.
CLAIM MY 80,000 POINTSLimited time offer.
#3 The Best Business Cards
Right now there are two excellent offers on business credit cards in Canada: American Express’ Business Platinum Card and Marriott Bonvoy Business Card. Both offer exceptional welcome bonuses (up to 100,000 and 85,000 points, respectively), and a slew of travel perks: worldwide airport lounge access on the Platinum Card and free hotel nights on the Marriott Bonvoy Card.
I’ve personally held both of these cards and can tell you that the value they provide far exceeds their annual fee. The welcome bonuses alone are worth at least $2,000, and the other benefits they offer make them a no-brainer over the long run. Plus, their annual fees are tax-deductible expenses, making them even more attractive options.
The Bottom Line – Who Should Get The TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card?
This is a credit card that specifically caters to those who fly frequently with Air Canada. This offers the best chance of both earning Aeroplan points and redeeming them for the highest possible value.
However, if you don’t travel frequently or if you do but not with Air Canada, or if you’re looking for a credit card that offers lounge access on top of all the other perks, then this card is not for you.
On the other hand, it is an attractive option for seniors who are 65 years or older who take frequent weekends trips inside and outside of Canada since it is a great way to get travel medical insurance at no extra cost for the duration of each trip. This is something that may well prove invaluable and that would otherwise be very expensive.