The TD Aeroplan Visa Platinum Card is a travel credit card suited for frequent travellers; with this card, you can earn up to $500 worth of rewards, within the first year of applying for this, just by completing some milestones.
The TD Aeroplan Visa Platinum Card has a very reasonable annual fee of just $89, which is waived for first-year applicants. The first-year welcome bonus comes up to 20,000 points, which can be exchanged for travel benefits and at select stores
Although the TD Aeroplan Visa Platinum is a decent travel card, it's no match for premium travel cards like the Amex Platinum. While it carries a higher annual fee of $699, it more than makes up for it with its annual $200 travel credit, comprehensive travel insurance, lounge access, and other travel benefits.
What Is The TD Aeroplan Visa Platinum Card?
TD Aeroplan Visa Platinum Card is an airline credit card introduced by TD Bank Group, a world-leading online financial services company in Canada. The card is considered a low-end credit option offered by TD as it has no minimum income requirement and a lower annual fee than some other TD Aeroplan Visa Card options.
Features of the TD Aeroplan Visa Platinum Card
TD Aeroplan Visa Platinum Card has excellent features, which include:
- Bonus offer: Earn up to $500 worth of rewards (20,000 Aeroplan points with annual fee waiver within 1st year) when you apply on or before January 3, 2023. These rewards comprise of:
- Up to 10,000 Aeroplan points welcome bonus when you make your first purchase.
- Up to 10,000 additional Aeroplan points when you spend $1,000 within the first 90 days.
- Rebate of the annual fee of $89 for the first year when you make your first purchase within the first three months and include an additional cardholder to your account within 12 months
- Annual fee: $89 per year
- Additional cardholder fee: $35 annual fee for each additional cardholder
- Interest rate: 20.99% on purchases & 22.99% for cash advances
- Earn rewards points per dollar spent
- 1x points for every $1 spent on eligible purchases made with Air Canada and on gas, groceries, travel, and dining purchases
- 1x points for every $1.50 spent on every other purchase
- Double points when you make payments with your card and provide your Aeroplan number at Aeroplan partner brands and to over 170 online retailers via the Aeroplan eStore
- Earn 50% more Aeroplan points at Starbucks upon linking your TD Aeroplan Visa Platinum card with your Starbucks® Rewards account
These earning rates are not what I would call impressive, even if you double-dip by giving your Aeroplan number when paying at partner retailers. You'll do much better with other options like the Gold card or the Amex Cobalt, which will earn you MR points you can then transfer 1:1 to Aeroplan.
- Access to travel insurance coverage: including common carrier accident insurance, delay and lost baggage insurance, flight or trip delay insurance, and hotel or motel burglary insurance
- Access to Visa Secure, which safeguards cardholders from monetary loss resulting from fraudulent card use
- Rental Car Collision/Loss Damage Insurance: For car rental periods of 48 days or less and for cars with an MSRP of up to $65,000
- Free Mobile Mobile Device Insurance with up to $1,000 of coverage in case of loss, theft, or accidental damage of eligible mobile devices.
- Purchase security for eligible new items stolen or damaged within 90 days of purchase, and extended warranty protection for double the warranty period or up to 12 additional months
- Enjoy Emergency Travel Assistance Services
- Car rental discounts on Avis Rent-A-Car and Budget Rent-A-Car with a minimum discount value of 10% off the lowest base rates in Canada and the US and a minimum discount of 5% internationally
- Optional benefits: These include:
- TD Auto Club Membership
- Optional travel insurance: includes the opportunity to purchase travel medical insurance and trip cancellation and interruption Insurance.
- TD Credit Card Payment Protection Plan: This is a payment protection plan designed to assist you with your credit Card payment obligations in case of a job loss, total Disability, or death.
To be eligible for the card, you:
- Must be a permanent Canadian resident
- Must have attained the majority age in the Canadian province of residence
Pros & Cons
- The TD Aeroplan Visa Platinum Card saves you some travel insurance costs with common carrier accident insurance, baggage delay, and flight delay insurance coverage.
- Up to $500 worth of benefits within the first year when you apply on or before Jan 2023
- Car rental discounts on Avis Rent-A-Car and Budget Rent-A-Car
- Access to mobile device insurance of up to $1,000 per occurrence
- Purchase security and extended warranty protection for up to one additional year
- Annual fees of $89 per annum plus $35 for each additional cardholder
- The maximum points earnable on each dollar, excluding bonus rewards, is 1 point per dollar spent
TD Aeroplan Visa Platinum Card is a personal credit card option without a minimum individual income requirement in Canada. With bonus rewards of up to 20,000 points when you spend up to $1,000 within the 1st 90 days, the card is considered a cheap option for accumulating bonus reward points.
TD Aeroplan Visa Platinum Card FAQs
How can you apply for the TD Aeroplan Visa Platinum Credit Card?
The following information is required to open a TD Aeroplan Visa Platinum Card :
- Full legal name
- Date of birth
- Contact info and email address
- Home address
- Employment status and income source(s)
- Gross annual income
- Residential status
What are the Insurance Perks & Coverage on the TD Aeroplan Visa Platinum Card?
- Car rental collision/loss damage insurance: The TD Aeroplan Visa Platinum Card provides insurance coverage for rental car damage or theft for rental periods of at most forty-eight (48) consecutive days and with a Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $65,000 or less.
- Common carrier accident insurance: The TD Aeroplan Visa Platinum Card provides up to $500,000 per insured person for accidental death or bodily injury sustained by a passenger on a licensed common carrier.
- Delayed and lost baggage insurance: The Card provides up to $1000 per insured person for the purchase of essentials if your baggage is delayed beyond 6 hours of its scheduled arrival time or lost.
- Flight delay insurance: The Card provides up to $500 per insured person if your flight is delayed beyond 4 hours of its initially scheduled time.
- Hotel burglary insurance: This benefit provides coverage of up to $2,500 per occurrence for repairing or replacing personal items stolen from your travel accommodation.
- Mobile device insurance: The TD Aeroplan Visa Platinum Card provides coverage of up to $1,000 per occurrence for lost, stolen, or accidentally damaged mobile devices. Coverage usually takes effect 30 days from and ends two years from the purchase date of your mobile device and is applicable anywhere in the world as long as you:
- Charge at least 75% of the total purchase cost to your account and activate Your Mobile Device with a Provider; or
- Charge the up-front cost to your credit card, finance the balance of the total cost through a Plan, and charge all monthly wireless bill payments to Your Account
- TD Aeroplan Visa Platinum Card Purchase Coverage
- Purchase protection: The purchase security coverage insures items purchased with your card against theft and damage for up to 90 days from the purchase date
- Extended coverage on the original manufacturer's warranty period by up to one additional year.
How do I Maximize my TD Aeroplan Visa Platinum Card?
You can maximize your TD Aeroplan Visa Platinum Card by:
- Spending up to $1,000 within the first 90days to qualify for the 20,000 Aeroplan bonus points
- Making your first purchase within the first three months and including an additional cardholder to your account within 12 months to be eligible for a rebate on an annual fee of $89 for the first year
- Paying for car rentals and other purchases using your card to take advantage of discounts and insurance coverage
Is there a limit to the Rewards that can be Accumulated with the TD Aeroplan Visa Platinum Card?
No, there is no limit to the reward points you can accumulate with the TD Aeroplan Visa Platinum Card.
What Can you Redeem your TD Aeroplan Visa Platinum Card Reward Points for?
You can redeem your TD Aeroplan Visa Platinum Card reward points in several ways. Some of the categories you can redeem your points for include:
- Shopping: You can redeem TD Rewards points to purchase items on your wish list, including merchandise, experiences, and gift certificates
- Travel: You can redeem your TD rewards points on travel, including flights, hotel rooms, and car rentals. Check out the Aeroplan flight reward chart for more information on redeeming travel rewards.
If you value a unique and pleasant hotel experience, a card like the Marriott Bonvoy American Express card can deliver as much value and more as the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege.
How can you Redeem your TD Aeroplan Visa Platinum Card Reward points?
You can redeem your points for merchandise, gift cards, and other items at the Aeroplan eStore.
Is the TD Aeroplan Visa Platinum Card Worth it?
The TD Aeroplan Visa Platinum Card could be worth it if you maximize its perks and bonus reward points.
Do my TD Aeroplan Visa Platinum Card Rewards Expire?
No, the TD Aeroplan Visa Platinum Card reward points do not expire if the TD Aeroplan Visa Platinum Card account remains open with the bank and is in good standing.