Shipping items you buy from Zappos to Canada used to be a hassle, but not anymore. This post lays out a dead-simple process for getting your order from Zappos—or any other retailer that doesn’t ship to Canada—shipped right to your doorstep in Canada with zero trouble and minimal fees.
Zappos is the world’s largest shoe retailer. Originally launched as ShoeSite.com in 1999, it was renamed Zappos later that year after being inspired by the Spanish word for shoes, “zapatos.” In 2009, Zappos was purchased by Amazon.com for $1.2 billion, though it continues to operate more or less as an independent company even today. Zappos sells thousands of different shoe brands, from Nike and Adidas to Ugg and Balenciaga. Zappos also sells swimwear, activewear, handbags, jewelry, accessories, and much more. As far as online retailers go, Zappos.com is a behemoth. Entire books have been written about Zappos’ customer service and company culture, far more than we can capture here. But there are two blanket policies that will cover most of your concerns when shopping on Zappos.com:
- 365-Day Return Policy: If you’re not 100% satisfied with your Zappos order, you can return unworn items for a full refund within 365 days of purchase.
- 30-Day “Runlimited” Guarantee: Try out your new shoes for 30 days, and if you don’t like how they look, fit or feel, you can return them to Zappos, no questions asked.
Does Zappos Ship To Canada?
No, Zappos does not ship to Canada, but I’ve designed a process for getting any Zappos order shipped to Canada with zero headaches.
It involves using a package forwarder: a warehouse in the United States that will accept your Zappos order and forward it on to you in Canada.
Here’s the exact process, explained step-by-step.
How To Get Zappos Orders Shipped To Canada
Step 1: Choose A Package Forwarder
Choosing the right package forwarder is a big deal, because that decision will determine how quickly you receive your order, and how much you have to pay for the service. I spent many hours doing some deep research on eight different package forwarders, scoring each of them on a wide variety of relevant metrics. Here are five of the main metrics I looked at:
- Service Fees: How much do they charge to provide their core service of accepting and shipping packages, plus ancillary services such as long-term storage, re-packing, package consolidation, and more.
- Monthly/Annual Fees: How much do they charge in monthly or annual fees, if at all.
- Pricing Transparency: How much do I know about their pricing structure before sending my order to their warehouse.
- Speed: How quickly will they process my package.
- Customer Service: How satisfied are other users with their service, and how thoroughly/quickly do they respond to my questions.
After reviewing the data I collected on these and other metrics, it became clear to me that Planet Express was the best choice. Their customer service team responded to my emails quickly and thoroughly, they have thousands of 5-star reviews online, and their fees were consistently lower than all of the other package forwarders I looked at.
Here are a few other things I like about Planet Express:
- Planet Express has a tax-free warehouse in Oregon, so you can avoid paying sales tax on your orders.
- Planet Express will consolidate multiple packages into a single box, significantly reducing shipping costs when you make multiple purchases.
- Planet Express sends you free photos of your package as soon as it arrives at their warehouse.
- Planet Express offers extremely cheap storage for your packages. Every package receives 10 days of free storage, but after that, Planet Express only charges one cent per pound per day. That means storing a 1-lb package in their warehouse for a month only costs $0.30!
Step 2: Ship Your Order To Planet Express
As soon as you’ve signed up for Planet Express, you’ll receive a unique mailing address at their warehouse. Once you decide on the items you want to buy, just enter your Planet Express mailing address instead of your home mailing address and you’re all set.
If you’re not able to enter your home address as your credit card billing address, you should also be able to use Planet Express’ warehouse address without any issues.
To learn more about Planet Express—including what it looks like inside the Planet Express dashboard—watch my video here.
Step 3: Forward Your Package
As soon as your order arrives at Planet Express’ warehouse, they’ll send you photos of the package to let you know it’s arrived. You’ll also be given a series of shipping options to choose from.
I find that there’s generally at least 4 shipping options corresponding to 4 different price-speed combinations. Sometimes there can be as many as 10 or more shipping options—it just depends on the weight, size and value of your package.
My Personal Experience
I’ve used Planet Express more than a dozen times to ship packages to different parts of the world, and the experience has always been very smooth. Here’s how things went the last time I did it.
First, I had my order sent to my unique address at the Planet Express warehouse. Less than 48 hours later, I received an email from Planet Express letting me know that my order had arrived, which is extremely quick.
Second, I filled in Planet Express’ super-easy customs declaration form with the four pieces of information required:
- The item being shipped
- The number of items being shipped
- The value of the item
- Whether the item contains batteries
Third, I chose the shipping option I wanted from a list of eight. Prices ranged from $6-$35 USD, plus insurance at an additional $2 USD, so I chose the cheapest one ($8 USD, including the insurance), and I was done. My package was shipped out later that same day, and when it arrived, everything was in perfect shape.
The Best Crypto Exchanges In Canada
Signup Bonus: $20 when you deposit at least $100
Signup Bonus: $10 of CRO when you stake $1,000 of CRO
Signup Bonus: $20 bonus when you deposit $250 or more
The Costs (Customs & Duties)
In my experience, the price I paid ($6 USD + $2 USD in insurance) is pretty standard for shipping packages to Canada. You also won’t need to pay any customs or duties on your imports thanks to the new United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) trade deal that came into effect on July 1, 2020, which allows Canadians to import up to $150 CAD worth of goods from the US or Mexico without paying any customs or duties. This is a huge jump up from the previous threshold ($20 CAD), and means you probably won’t have to pay any customs or duties on any of your imports moving ahead.
If your purchase is worth more than $150 CAD, this table shows the customs duty you will have to pay.
|Item Category||Customs Duty|
|Health & Beauty||18%|
Overall, getting Zappos items shipped to Canada is extremely easy and smooth. The costs are low, and in my experience you’ll actually end up saving money, since buying direct from Zappos is often cheaper than buying from other comparable retailers in Canada. If you’re buying from Zappos, or any other retailer that doesn’t ship to Canada, I’m confident this method will serve you well.