The CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite Privilege Card rewards its users with more premium travel benefits and perks. It comes with a generous welcome bonus of 80,000 Aventura points that you can earn if you reach certain spending milestones within four months of applying for the card.
With an annual fee of $499, it offers a VIP package including 6 complimentary visits at airport lounges, room upgrades, dining and wine events, Wi-Fi access, and complimentary breakfast at hotels. Not only is it suitable for its promotions, but also for its insurance coverage that ensures your safety and protection.
What Is The CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite Privilege Card?
The CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite Privilege Card is a premium travel rewards card offered by CIBC. It caters to high-end users who want a relaxing trip while earning rewards and benefits. This credit card costs an annual fee of $499 with up to 80,000 Aventura points within the first 4 months.
You can use this credit card to earn up to 3 Aventura points on purchases, redeem points for almost anything, or take advantage of its exclusive travel perks.
If you are a frequent traveller, this credit may or may not be deserving of your list of annual expenses. It's not a bad travel card, but it's also not the best credit card in Canada. Read the review below to find out if it's the right choice for you.
CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite Privilege Card Features
For an annual fee of $499, the CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite Privilege Card must have beneficial features other than earning Aventura points. Read below the 7 features to tell if this credit card is right for your lifestyle.
#1 Earn Up To 3 Aventura Points On Purchases
You can earn up to 3 Aventura points on purchases with the CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite Privilege Card. The points you make whenever you shop can be converted into exciting rewards and savings.
For every $1 spent, you can receive Aventura points from the following:
- 3 points – travel purchases from the CIBC Rewards Centre
- 2 points – groceries, gas, transportation, dining, and entertainment
- 1.25 points – other eligible purchases
After earning enough points, you can redeem them for rewards such as
- In-store and online purchases
- Travel purchases (e.g., flights, vacation packages)
- Gift cards
- Bill payments for credit card balance and financial products (e.g., TFSA, RRSP)
Note that Aventura points do not expire, but your CIBC credit card must be active and in good standing. They can also be cancelled or forfeited if you did not redeem them for 60 days after voluntarily closing your account.
At a value of 1.25 cents per point, the highest earn rate will get you 3.75% back from your travel purchases through the CIBC Rewards Centre. You can get more than that with other credit cards like the Amex Cobalt.
#2 Annual Fee Rebates
You can receive one but two annual fee rebates if you apply for this CIBC card. You can get these offers by completing the following:
- Have a CIBC Smart Plus Account to get up to a $139 fee rebate on the CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite Privilege Card
- Apply for a NEXUS card and receive 2 application fee rebates every 4 years
Remember that you should use the CIBC card to qualify for this offer. Otherwise, you will be charged additional fees.
#3 Exclusive VIP Benefits With The Visa Infinite Privilege
If the CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite Privilege Card still needs to convince you that it is worth your money, this VIP package may change your mind.
The Visa Infinite Privilege offers exclusive VIP benefits to its cardholders. You can take advantage of its travel perks, including
- Global Airport Lounge access with 6 complimentary visits at over 1,200 airport lounges.
- Relax with the Visa Infinite Luxury Hotel Collection, giving you free room upgrades, Wi-Fi access, and breakfast.
- Wine tastings and deliveries from selected wineries in Ontario and British Columbia.
- A 24-hour concierge for planning itineraries, birthdays, or vacations.
#4 Access To Business Class Bookings And Fly Using Aventura Points
Having a CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite Privilege Card gives you instant access to business class, making it more comfortable to travel long distances.
You can also use your Aventura points on your next getaway by compiling at least 10,000 points. These 10,000 can get you a round-trip economy class ticket to anywhere in Canada and the U.S.
If you have more than that, refer to the list below and check how far your points can get you.
For one economy class ticket:
- 10,000 to 20,000 points – Canada and the U.S. (short haul) | Maximum price of $400
- 25,000 to 35,000 points – Canada and the U.S. except for Hawaii and Alaska (long haul) | Maximum price of $800
- 40,000 to 60,000 points – Central America, Mexico, Hawaii, Alaska, and the Caribbean | Maximum price of $1,000
- 50,000 to 70,000 points – Europe | Maximum price of 1,300
- 75,000 to 125,000 points – Anywhere in the world | Maximum price $2,000
For one business class ticket:
- 40,000 points – Canada and the U.S. | Maximum price of $1,000
- 70,000 points – Canada and the U.S. (long haul) | Maximum price of $1,750
- 80,000 points – Central America, Mexico, Alaska, Hawaii, and the Caribbean | Maximum price of $2,000
- 150,000 points – Europe | Maximum price of $3,000
- 250,000 points – Anywhere in the world | Maximum price of $5,000.
#5 Get Discounts And Savings On Auto Rentals And Gas At Participating Gas Stations
Since gas prices are skyrocketing, discounts and cashback are here to save you from high-cost expenses. Using your CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite Privilege Card, you can get a discount of up to 25% on auto rentals at Avis and Budget locations worldwide.
If renting cars is not included in your plans, you can save up to 10 cents per litre by pumping gas at Pioneer, Fas Gas, Ultramar, and Chevron gas stations. Remember to link the card with your Journie Rewards card to participate in this offer.
You can also save on gas within Canada with the no-fee Canadian Tire Triangle Mastercard.
#6 Travel Insurance Coverage And Credit Card Security Feature
No travel is complete without insurance. With this travel rewards credit card, you can ensure that your trips and purchases are covered before and after your flight. For its cardholders, it offers a certificate of insurance, including
- Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption Insurance
- Flight Delay and Baggage Insurance
- Out-Of-Province Emergency Travel Medical Insurance
- Auto Rental Collision and Loss Damage Insurance
- Hotel Burglary Insurance
- Common Carrier Accident Insurance
- Purchase Security and Extended Protection Insurance
- Mobile Device Insurance
- CIBC Payment Protector Insurance for Credit Cards (Optional)
Other than having travel insurance, securing and protecting your credit card from fraud is much better.
Its security features include
- Online Credit Card Management through the CIBC Mobile Banking App and CIBC Online Banking
- Spend, Fraud, and Credit Report Alerts
You can visit the page here and scroll down below to learn more about the specific insurance details.
CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite Privilege Card Pros And Cons
- Enjoy an annual fee every year if you have a CIBC Smart Plus Account.
- Receive up to 80,000 Aventura points within the first four months of account approval
- Earn up to 3 Aventura points on groceries, dining, entertainment, gas and transportation, travel purchases, and other purchases
- Free access to over 1,200 lounges worldwide with Visa Airport Companion Program
- Get a $200 annual Travel Credit to purchase flights, hotels, car rentals, and vacation package bookings.
- Obtain 2 Nexus Application Fee rebates with a $100 value
- More exclusive travel experiences such as taxi and limo services, wine and culinary experiences, and VIP benefits at luxury hotels
- A $499 annual fee and a $99 extra fee for additional credit cards (up to 9 cards)
- It requires a minimum personal income of $150,000 or a minimum household income of $200,000
- It has a purchase rate of 20.99% and a cash interest rate of 22.99% or 21.99% if you reside in Quebec.
- It does not offer free first-checked baggage, unlike the CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card.
- It is not best for people who prefer rewards programs other than Aventura Points.
CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite Privilege Card Pricing
CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite Privilege Card requires a higher-than-average minimum income. Thus, it is expected that it comes with expensive fees. Below are the interest and fees of the CIBC card and its competitor – the BMO eclipse Visa Infinite Privilege Card.
|CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite Privilege Card||BMO eclipse Visa Infinite Privilege Card|
|Additional Card Fee||$99||$99|
|Minimum Personal Income||$150,000||$150,000|
|Minimum Household Income||$200,000||$200,000|
|Interest-Free Grace Period||21 days||21 days|
|Cash Advance Rate||22.99% (or 21.99% for Quebec residents)||23.99% (or 23.99% for Quebec residents)|
|Overlimit Fee||No fee for the Visa Infinite Privilege card||$29|
|Cash Advance Fee||$5||1% or a minimum of $5|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Rate||2.5%||2.5%|
|Unique Features||Six complimentary visits at over 1,200 lounges2 NEXUS application fee rebates every 4 years |
Business class booking
Taxi and limo services, dining events, and wine experiences24-hour Visa Infinite Privilege Concierge
|Six complimentary visits at airport lounges per year|
Priority Security Lane, airport parking, and valet service discountsVisa Luxury Hotel Collection access24-hour Visa Infinite Privilege Concierge
Both the CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite Privilege Card and the BMO Eclipse Visa Infinite Privilege Cards have the same insurance coverage regarding purchases and warranties.
They offer coverage on stolen, lost, or damaged purchases within 90 days and an extension for the original manufacturer's warranty of one additional year.
These are both high-end, premium travel cards. However, they can't compete with the many benefits that the Amex Platinum has in store for its cardholders, even though the cost, after accounting for the Platinum's $200 annual travel credit, are basically the same.
CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite Privilege Card is one of the most expensive travel rewards credit cards that CIBC offers. This card is best for frequent travellers and business owners who take travelling as part of their lifestyle.
For $499 per year, you can get up to 3 Aventura points, annual fee rebates, global airport lounge access, luxury hotel benefits, dining and wine events, and more exclusive offers and discounts. It may not be worth its price, but the travel experience you can do with it is treasured.
CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite Privilege Card FAQs
How much does the CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite Privilege Card cost?
CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite Privilege Card costs $499 for its annual fee and $99 for additional credit cards.
Is the CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite Privilege Card worth it?
The CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite Privilege Card may or may not be worth it, depending on what kind of traveller you are. It is worth it if you are looking for a new travel experience since it offers the following:
- Global airport lounge access
- Wine-tasting and dining events
- Business class tickets from Aventura points
- Troon Golf, and luxury hotel benefits
- Annual fee rebates on credit cards and NEXUS application
It may not be worth it since it does not offer the following:
- Higher earn rate of Aventura points (maximum of 3 points)
- Free first-checked baggage
- Lower interest rates
Is the CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite Privilege Card safe?
Yes, CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite Privilege Card is safe to use. It has built-in alerts such as Spend, Fraud, and Credit Report alerts to notify you of any unusual credit card activity. Other than alerts, you are also given a Zero Liability Policy wherein you won't be held responsible when someone uses your card for fraudulent purchases.
What are the benefits of the CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite Privilege Card?
The benefits of the CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite Privilege Card are Aventura points, annual fee rebates (for the credit card and NEXUS application), lounge access, room upgrades, hotel, and dining benefits, wine events, and a 24-hour concierge service. Some of these perks you can get with good travel cards like the Marriott Bonvoy Amex.
Does the CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite Privilege Card have lounge access?
Yes, the CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite Privilege has lounge access. It offers 6 complimentary visits at over 1,200 airport lounges worldwide through the Visa Airport Companion Program.
Can I fly business class with Aventura points?
Yes, you can fly business class with Aventura points. For 40,000 Aventura points, you can redeem one round-trip business class ticket travelling within Canada and the U.S.