A virtual mailbox service is the easiest way to receive mail from one country while you’re living or traveling in another. Virtual mailboxes provide you with a unique address you can send any mail to, which they will then forward on to you anywhere in the world. You can even use a virtual business address (a sort of professional virtual mailbox) for registering and opening an LLC.
After researching more than a dozen companies, Anytime Mailbox is my top choice for the best virtual mailbox due to their low fees and excellent customer service. If you’re opening an LLC, though, you’ll be better served by Incfile, a virtual business address and Registered Agent service with two decades of experience handling the complex tax and legal needs of LLCs.
What Is The Best Virtual Mailbox?
Anytime Mailbox is, without a doubt, the best virtual mailbox available today. With 600+ mailbox locations spread across 40+ countries—plus services like package consolidation to reduce the cost of shipping—it’s ideal both for business owners and for online shoppers buying from stores all over the world.
Anytime Mailbox offers all of the standard virtual mailbox services (mail scans, check deposits, etc.) plus others that many other mailboxes don’t offer, such as local pickup and secure shredding. They offer an extremely generous 60 days of free storage on all letters and packages, and forward mail anywhere in the world.
I’ve personally used Anytime Mailbox for more than 2 years now and have had nothing but excellent experiences with them. I highly recommend Anytime Mailbox as the best package forwarder available today.
- 600+ locations in 40+ countries
- A selection of tax-free warehouses
- 60 days of free storage on all letters and packages
- Deep discounts with all major carriers
- Letter + package consolidation
- Local pickup available for a fee ($1-$5 per item)
- Open & scan ($0.50/page)
- Forward packages for $5
- Check deposits
- Secure shredding ($0.10/page)
- Monthly Fee: $5-$10/month
- Open & Scan: $0.50/page
- Mail Forwarding: $5 + the cost of shipping
- Storage: Free for 60 days, then 5 cents/item/day
VIP customer support when you sign up using this link.
Online shoppers and business owners buying from retailers around the world.
Incfile is a Registered Agent service that serves all of your tax and legal needs before, during and after you register an LLC. Incfile customers get unlimited phone and email support, plus access to a real-time order tracking tool as you await your documentation.
Your Incfile dashboard digitally stores all of your LLC formation documents and tracks important deadlines and compliance reminders, ensuring you never miss any requirements. Incfile customers also receive a 60-minute business tax consultation with a certified tax professional, completely free.
Incfile offers virtual business addresses in 22 states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Virginia, and Washington.
Incfile is known for its deeply knowledgeable expertise backed by fast, helpful customer support agents. If you’re incorporating an LLC, I highly recommend Incfile.
- First year free
- Available in all US states
- No hidden fees or automatic service renewals
- Incfile Silver: $75 in state fees
- Incfile Gold: $224 in state fees
- Incfile Platinum: $374 in state fees
First year free when you incorporate using this link.
Entrepreneurs who want to create a free virtual address for an LLC quickly. It’s also fitting for entrepreneurs that seek a virtual address without having to pay significant amounts of money for premium services.
Planet Express is a package forwarder designed for online shoppers. They have mailboxes in the US (California and Oregon) and the UK, making them a great choice for anyone living abroad and shopping from those two countries.
One great thing about Planet Express is that they don’t charge any monthly fees. This is extremely rare among package forwarders, and makes them stand out among a crowd of others charging $5-$25 per month.
Planet Express’ Shop For Me service allows you to shop in the US even without a credit card: their team will place your orders for you, and you can pay them back through a variety of payment methods, including PayPal.
I’ve used Planet Express about half a dozen times, and my experience with them has always been great. If you’re shopping in the US or UK and choose not to go with Anytime Mailbox, I’m certain you’ll be happy be Planet Express, too.
- Warehouses in the US and the UK
- Tax-free warehouses in Oregon, USA
- Deep discounts with USPS, DHL, FedEx, UPS, and Planet Express’ own shipping service
- Free photos of incoming packages
- Shop For Me purchase assistance
- Package consolidation
- 10-45 days of free package storage, depending on your plan
- Monthly fee: $0 – $10/month
- Free photos upon package arrival
- $2 for 3 photos inside the package
- $5 for 10 photos inside the package
- Package Forwarding: $2/package + shipping
- Storage: 10-45 days free, then $0.01 per pound/day
Online shoppers looking for a package forwarder without any monthly fees.
Northwest Registered Agent is a Registered Agent service specializing in the registration of LLCs. They operate in all 50 states and seamlessly take care of all of your legal needs.
Northwest Registered Agent charges $225 + state fees, which is more than Incfile (free for the first year).
- Same-day email scanning
- Local area code number
- Enables you to control over accessing your private information
- You can send text messages and voicemails to other people from any device
- Keeps all your information private
- Initial subscription: $225 + state fees
- Annual subscription renewal: $125
Entrepreneurs looking for a service with a proven track record.
My Company Works has helped incorporate over 50,000 LLCs since being founded in 2001. Even though it doesn’t work with the same volume of clients as other companies of its type, it has established itself as a trustworthy service for those who need help in registering and managing an LLC.
- Very fast service (next business day)
- Easy to use
- ComplianceLock helps new companies maintain compliance
- Free annual report alerts
- Free handbook
- Basic: $79
- Entrepreneur: $199
- Complete: $279
Entrepreneurs who want to create a virtual address quickly through a service with a proven track record and overall low fees.
PostScan Mail operates a network of 400+ virtual mailboxes across the United States. Its robust mobile app allows you to place your mail into digital folders and filter while you search, making finding and organizing your mail easy.
While Planet Express only deals with packages, PostScan Mail is much more focused on letters. It allows 30 days of free storage for letters (just 7 days for packages), and offers unlimited cloud storage, so you can keep years’ worth of mail on their servers.
PostScan Mail is more expensive than the others—its plans range from $15 to $30 per month—so if you’re mainly receiving letters, you’re probably better off with Anytime Mailbox. Still, PostScan Mail is a solid, professional virtual mailbox that does not disappoint.
- Free storage for 7 days (packages) and 30 days (letters)
- Local pickup
- Letter + package consolidation
- Unlimited cloud storage
- Real U.S. street addresses
- Monthly fee: $15 – $30/month
- Open & Scans: 5-20 free scans per month (depending on your plan), then $2 per letter
- Mail Forwarding: $0.85 per item + shipping
- Letter Storage: First 30 days free, then $0.05 per letter/day.
- Package Storage: First 7 days free, then $0.10 per pound/day.
Businesses with low to moderate amounts of incoming letter mail.
Virtual Mailboxes I Don’t Recommend
In my research into these virtual mailboxes that I do recommend, I also discovered a handful of mailboxes that I don’t recommend, for a variety of different reasons:
- US Global Mail: US Global Mail has a sleek website, but it also has a tendency to nickel-and-dime its customers, charging them small fees in every way it can. If you’d rather not pay a monthly fee or get hit with unexpected charges around every turn, go with Planet Express instead.
- iPostal1: iPostal1’s main benefit is that it offers mailboxes in 10+ countries, but Anytime Mailbox offers several times more at significantly better prices.
- Earth Class Mail: Earth Class Mail only has mailboxes within the US, significantly restricting its usefulness. For a better (and free!) virtual mailbox with just as strong US coverage, go with Planet Express.
- Traveling Mailbox: Like US Global Mail, Traveling Mailbox has a tendency to charge its customers fees for everything, making the service much more expensive than users expect. For more accurate, honest pricing, go with Anytime Mailbox or Planet Express.
- USA2Me: USA2Me’s main draw is its free plan, though just setting up an account with them costs $23—and there are additional fees after that. For a better free virtual mailbox with zero setup fees, go with Planet Express.
My Pick For The Best Virtual Mailbox: Anytime Mailbox
Anytime Mailbox makes shopping in the US and internationally easy and cheap. With hundreds of international locations to choose from, you’re sure to find a location that suits your specific online shopping needs.
With a well-developed app and features like check deposits and secure mail shredding, Anytime Mailbox Mail is a great option for businesses, too. If you’re looking for a reliable virtual mailbox that customers love, I strongly recommend Anytime Mailbox.
Benefits Of Virtual Mailboxes
There are a few major benefits of using a virtual mailbox:
- Convenience: With a virtual mailbox, you’ll have control over all your mail right at your fingertips. You’ll see new mail arrive, be able to forward it to other locations, and even have checks deposited. If the digital mailbox you choose also provides virtual office services, you may be able to get a dedicated phone number answered by a real receptionist, too.
- Freedom To Travel: Have your mail or packages forwarded to you anywhere in the world.
- Privacy: There are a lot of reasons why you may not want to give out your home address, especially if you’re registering a business and that address will be publicly accessible. Using a virtual mailbox address is a great way to maintain your privacy while still reaping all of the benefits a physical address entails.
- Registered Agent Services: Some virtual mailbox services also offer registered agent services, which can offer tremendous value if you’re considering a virtual mailbox for business use. For example, when a legal document requiring immediate attention is not taken care of in time, it can create a substantial headache for you. The virtual business addresses in the second half of the list above will take care of that for you.
- Security: The virtual mailboxes we recommend above go to great lengths to ensure that your documents (legal, business, and personal) are kept under the highest security. Communications with end users are encrypted with bank-level SSL encryption, and your account will be protected behind a password and 2-factor authentication (2FA) if you choose. Every virtual mailbox provider in the United States has to follow strict USPS guidelines, and there are harsh consequences if they fail to keep users’ information safe.
Virtual Mailbox & Virtual Business Address FAQs
What Is A Virtual Mailbox?
A virtual mailbox gives you a physical mailing address where you can accept letters, documents, and packages while you’re away from home. When your virtual mailbox receives a piece of mail, they will scan the envelope or package and email that scan to you.
Getting started with a virtual mailbox is very simple:
- Open an account with one of the virtual mailboxes mentioned in this post (either Anytime Mailbox, Planet Express, or PostScan Mail). I’ve included details about all of their features, including which of them I personally use and why.
- The virtual mailbox you select will assign you a unique mailing address, which you can start using for letters and packages.
- Start receiving email notifications every time a piece of mail arrives. and use use your new virtual mailbox as much as you want.
Standard Virtual Mailbox Services
- Online viewing of letters and packages
- Open and scan/photograph your letters and packages
- Shred and destroy unwanted mail
- Forward letters and packages to your domestic or international address
- Receive credit cards and bank statements
- Receive legal statements and personal & business bills
- Instant notification when you receive a piece of mail
Advanced Virtual Mailbox Services
- Repack and consolidate multiple packages to save on shipping costs
- Long-term package storage
- Deposit checks for you or your business
- Sign for packages upon delivery
- Real street address (not a PO box)
- Personal shopping service
What Is A Virtual Mailbox Used For?
A virtual mailbox is used for forwarding mail while you’re traveling or living abroad, or just to keep you more organized. You can also use a virtual mailbox to create an online archive of your documents and important papers, or even as an official business address when opening an LLC.
I personally find myself using virtual mailbox services most often when I’m overseas and need to order things from Amazon and other retailers that won’t ship to my current address. In those cases, I just have the package shipped to my virtual mailbox, and have them forward it on to my current address a few days later.
Having a real street address can be a huge benefit, too, as many banks and government agencies don’t accept PO boxes as legitimate addresses. This means you can use some virtual mailboxes as a registered business address, though not all of them.
Are Virtual Mailboxes Safe?
Yes, virtual mailboxes are safe because they’re accessed exclusively online and are not available to the public. All of the virtual mailboxes I recommend above operate from secure data centers and comply with the latest security protocols, including 128-bit SSL encryption and full disk encryption for all customer data.
All virtual mailboxes in the US must comply with strict USPS guidelines and face stiff penalties if they fail to keep users’ information safe. Virtual mailboxes are not permitted to release their users’ addresses to anyone unless they are specifically instructed to do so.
What Is The Cheapest Virtual Mailbox?
The cheapest virtual mailbox is Anytime Mailbox. Some specific items will be cheaper to ship with other package forwarders, of course, but on aggregate I’ve found that Anytime Mailbox has the lowest prices on most shipments.
Which Virtual Mailbox Is Best?
The best virtual mailbox is Anytime Mailbox, both for its low pricing and its excellent customer service. I’ve tested out more than a dozen different virtual mailbox services, and if you’re looking to get your purchases shipped to you quickly and reliably, I recommend Anytime Mailbox.
Does USPS Offer A Virtual Mailbox?
Yes, USPS does offer a PO box virtual mail service. However, USPS PO boxes cannot receive shipments from any other shipping carrier, which is why it may be a good business move to get a virtual mailbox address as well.
Can You Pick Up Mail From A Virtual Mailbox?
You can pick up mail from some virtual mailboxes, but not all of them. You’ll need to check with your virtual mailbox service’s policies before receiving any packages so that you don’t get charged an extra pickup fee.
Can I Use A Virtual Mailbox For An LLC?
Yes, you can use a virtual mailbox for your LLC. It’s easy to register your mailbox in your name or under a business entity since it’s a real, physical address.
Is It Necessary To Have A Registered Agent?
Yes, every LLC and corporation is legally required to have a Registered Agent in each state where they do business. Virtual business addresses like Incfile, Alliance Virtual Offices and Northwest Registered Agent can serve as Registered Agent for you, eliminating expensive legal fees and allowing you to focus on building your business.
How Do Virtual Business Addresses Work?
A virtual business address works in the same way a virtual mailbox does: it receives all of your business mail and packages. Whenever a piece of mail arrives, your virtual business address provider will either scan it and upload it (if it’s a letter) or take a photo and forward it on to your current address (if it’s a package).
Can I Use A Virtual Business Address For My LLC?
Yes, you can use a virtual business address for your LLC, and thousands of companies already do. Whether you already have an established LLC or are opening one for the first time, a virtual business address can save you time, money and effort in the process, making your business less burdensome and more profitable.
How Much Does A Virtual PO Box Cost?
Some virtual PO boxes, like Planet Express, don’t charge monthly fees, while others, like Anytime Mailbox and PostScan Mail, charge fees ranging from $5 – $30/month. Virtual business addresses tend to cost more, since they may offer specialized services like access to a live telephone receptionist.
How Do I Get A Free Virtual Address For An LLC?
Incfile offers a free virtual address you can use when incorporating your LLC, though you will still have to pay state legal fees. Once your LLC is set up, though, there are no additional ongoing costs involved with maintaining your mailbox (aside from the annual fee Incfile charges after the first year), saving you time and money compared to a physical office.