Choosing the best crypto app in Canada isn’t easy, given how many options are out there and all of the different features each of them offers. As a long-time crypto investor myself, I constantly keep up with the latest and greatest apps and make my recommendations below based on years of deep research and personal experience.
ZenGo is one of the best crypto exchanges in Canada among knowledgeable crypto investors, both for its high level of security and for its ease of use. It also has extremely low trading fees, so if you're looking for a secure, cost-effective way to buy and sell crypto in Canada with a $50 signup bonus (available until December 9, 2022), I can't recommend ZenGo highly enough.
What Is The Best Crypto App In Canada?
#1 CoinSmart — Best Overall
Founded in 2018, CoinSmart is one of Canada's fastest-growing and most trusted crypto exchanges. It supports 16 of the biggest cryptocurrencies and is one of the easiest ways for Canadians to trade digital currency. CoinSmart is available in 40+ countries and supports 3 fiat currencies (CAD, EUR, and USD).
Thankfully, their mobile app is just as great: it's available on Android and iOS, with an average rating of 3.4/5 on both, and it supports many of the features that you'd have access to on the desktop version of the exchange, such as low trading fees, instant account verification, and a friendly user interface that will allow you to trade crypto in just a few clicks. The app also has security features like biometric login and Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) to keep your assets safe at all times.
As if that weren't enough, as a new CoinSmart user, you'll also receive a $50 bonus upon funding your account, which you can use to buy crypto tokens like Bitcoin, Ethereum, or any of the 16 assets CoinSmart supports. If you're looking for a highly secure, reputable crypto mobile app to trade on the go, then CoinSmart is the best crypto exchange at your disposal.
- Supports 16 cryptocurrencies.
- Intuitive and easy-to-use interface.
- Has a 95% cold storage policy to keep your assets safe.
- Supports 2-factor authentication (2FA).
- Supports Biometric Login.
- Licensed and regulated by FINTRAC and the Ontario Securities Commission (OSC).
- Excellent customer support available via email, phone, and by ticket submission.
Pros & Cons Of CoinSmart
- Assets insured for up to $100 million.
- Instant account verification.
- Competitively low trading fees (0.2%).
- Available in 40+ countries.
- Supports 3 fiat currencies (EUR, CAD, USD).
- The app is available on Android and iOS (3.4/5 rating).
- Limited coin offering.
- Credit & debit card deposits cost up to 6%.
- Trading Fees: 0.20%.
- Crypto Pair Trading Fees: 0.30%.
- Deposit Fees (Interact e-Transfer): Free (1.5% if depositing less than $2,000).
- Deposit Fees (Bank Wire): Free.
- Deposit Fees (Credit/Debit Cards): 6%.
- Deposit Fees (Crypto): Free.
- Withdrawal Fees (EFT): 1%.
- Withdrawal Fees (Bank Wire): 1%.
- Withdrawal Fees (Crypto): Depends on the crypto (0.00025 BTC for Bitcoin).
Canadian crypto traders looking for the best crypto trading platform available.
#2 Bitbuy — Best For Security
Bitbuy is a fast-growing, highly popular Canadian crypto trading platform based in Toronto. It stands out from the rest of the field due to its low fees, great customer support, and easy-to-use trading platform, but Bitbuy's most noticeable feature is that it has invested heavily to ensure that its users' digital assets are always stored safely and that they can trade with the lowest possible spreads. This is apparent when you see that 99%+ of its assets are safely placed under cold storage, and in case something were to happen to them, they also have insurance to back them up.
If these security features weren't enough to convince you, Bitbuy is also a Registered Marketplace and Investment Dealer as recognized by the Ontario Securities Commission (OSC), which means it's a highly safe and secure exchange that offers deep liquidity on all order sizes.
Bitbuy's mobile app has received excellent reviews, with a 4.6/5 rating on the App Store from 6,000+ reviews. The app lets you access all of the core features of the desktop version—including buying, selling and transferring cryptocurrency—it even supports biometric security measures to keep your coins safe.
- 99%+ of crypto assets are held in cold storage and insured.
- Supports 25+ cryptocurrencies.
- Instant account verification for most users.
- Robust Bitbuy Pro platform with advanced trading tools for experienced traders.
- Quick and helpful customer support team.
- Supports biometric security measures to add an additional layer of safety to your funds.
- Has some of the lowest trading fees in the Canadian crypto exchange market (0.1%).
Pros & Cons Of Bitbuy
- Narrow spreads on trades (around 0.3%).
- An extremely easy-to-use mobile app interface that requires no prior knowledge or learning to use.
- High mobile app ratings (4.6 out of 5 stars on the Apple App Store).
- Free fiat deposits.
- Registered Money Services Business with FINTRAC.
- $30 signup bonus using our link.
- Fiat withdrawals cost 1.5%.
- Only available for Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
- Trading Fees: 0.1%.
- INTERAC Deposits/Withdrawals: Free.
- Bank Wire Deposit: Free.
- Bank Wire Withdrawal: 1%.
Canadian crypto investors looking for one of the most secure mobile apps.
#3 VirgoCX — Best For Versatility
VirgoCX is a Canadian crypto platform that launched in 2018. It supports more than 50 crypto assets, follows all Canadian regulations, and is a registered Money Service Business by FINTRAC: it also recently began supporting NFTs and offering foreign exchange services, two items that set it apart from other Canadian crypto platforms.
More importantly, however, VirgoCX is known for its clean iPhone and Android crypto trading apps that are as simple to use as its web platform, making trading on the go a breeze. Whether you're on an iPhone or Android, you can buy and sell any of the coins that VirgoCX offers with just a few taps, in addition to being able to use the OTC desk and the Recurring Buy feature from the app without any issues.
You'll also be able to deposit and withdraw funds from the VirgoCX app via Interac e-Transfers, wire transfers, and crypto deposits, as well as analyze the fluctuations in price between cryptocurrencies through the platform's charting, making the app a versatile tool that will grant the user a plethora of options when trading their favourite cryptocurrencies.
- Supports 50+ crypto assets.
- Intuitive app that can be used by beginners and advanced traders alike.
- 24/7 customer support is available via live chat and email.
- Supports its own NFT marketplace that is also accessible via the mobile app.
- Supports mandatory 2-factor authentication (2FA).
- Has a 95% cold storage policy (provided by Coinbase Custody).
- Has crime insurance of up to 1 million CAD.
Pros & Cons Of VirgoCX
- Has a wide coin selection that will satisfy most crypto traders.
- 95% cold storage policy and 2-factor authentication keep your account's funds safe at all times.
- Crime insurance of up to 1 million CAD protects you even in the unlikely case of theft.
- The exchange is a registered Money Services Business (MSB) with FINTRAC, as well as a Restricted Dealer by the Canadian Securities Administrators (CSA).
- Has a generous referral program that allows you to earn money by inviting other users to the platform.
- Customer support is quick and responsive.
- Very high spread rates (between 0.5% to 2.5%).
- Customer support via phone is not available.
- Trading fees: Free.
- Deposit fees: Free.
- Withdrawal fees (Crypto): Depends on the token being withdrawn.
- Withdrawal fees (Fiat): Free.
Canadian crypto traders looking for advanced trading features and other crypto prospects to invest in (such as NFTs).
#4 Crypto.com — Best Coin Selection
Crypto.com is a major global player as far as crypto trading platforms go, and it’s recently been having a major impact on the Canadian crypto market. It supports 100+ cryptocurrencies, making it an ideal fit for crypto investors that want to invest in uncharted altcoin territory before everyone else does.
The Crypto.com desktop platform (and its crypto trading app, by extension) offers some unique features that no other Canadian cryptocurrency exchange can match: users can trade options and futures contracts, earn interest by staking their coins, and make trades with up to 10x leverage when they feel particularly confident in a coin.
Crypto.com also has invested an enormous amount of money into its platform security (both for the desktop platform and the mobile app). Because of this, they're able to bring you security features such as multi-factor authentication through email, phone, and/or biometrics before you can access your account, granting you control of your private keys through the Crypto.com DeFi wallet (not many crypto exchanges provide their own crypto wallets), a cold storage policy to prevent hacking and theft, and even withdrawals protected by email verification and mandatory whitelisting of external addresses.
- Average trading fees (0.4%).
- Supports 100+ cryptocurrencies.
- Supports leveraged trading with up to 10x leverage.
- Supports crypto derivatives like futures and options contracts.
- Allows you to earn daily interest by staking your coins.
- Purchase newly-listed coins at up to 50% off.
- Free deposits from all cryptocurrencies.
Pros & Cons Of Crypto.com
- An advanced mobile app that will allow you to take your crypto trading to the next level.
- A wide array of supported cryptocurrencies grants you plenty of investment options.
- Supports its own crypto wallet so that you can store your digital funds safely.
- Multiple security options to prevent account hacking.
- Crypto derivatives like futures and options add further diversity to your crypto investment portfolio.
- Lightning-fast price updates that allow you to stay on top of the competition.
- Trading fees are somewhat high (0.4%).
- The platform is considerably more difficult to use in comparison to other exchanges.
- Trading Fees: 0.4%.
Crypto traders looking for a crypto trading app that allows them to invest in rare or unknown crypto coins.
OPEN FREE ACCOUNTExtremely secure, 10x leverage
#5 Coinberry — Best For Beginners
Coinberry is a Canadian cryptocurrency exchange that is based in Toronto. It was founded in 2017, and the exchange has some noticeable features that its users can benefit from, such as the Coinberry AutoPilot feature that allows you to trade crypto assets automatically and the Coinberry Pay feature that allows traders to accept cryptocurrency as a form of payment.
Coinberry's mobile app is just as intuitive and beginner-friendly as the desktop platform is, and it will let you buy and sell crypto on the go in as little as a few taps and with an instantaneous verification process to boot, meaning that users looking for their first crypto exchange/crypto trading app can use Coinberry to get started extremely quickly.
Leaving its high fees aside, I believe Coinberry to be the perfect mobile app if you're looking to begin investing in cryptocurrencies.
- Excellent mobile app (rated 4.5/5 on the App Store).
- Extremely easy-to-use.
- Supports 32 cryptocurrencies.
- Instant account verification.
- Auto-purchase functionality (dollar-cost averaging).
- Live, helpful customer support.
- Cold storage provided by Gemini.
Pros & Cons Of Coinberry
- Coinberry Autopilot has the potential to make you earn passive income.
- Coinberry Pay allows you to pay other traders with cryptocurrency directly.
- Has zero deposit and withdrawal fees.
- Coin selection is more than enough for beginner crypto investors.
- Instant account verification allows you to get into trading crypto straight away.
- Cold storage keeps your account safe from hackers.
- Has a very high spread rate (2.5% maximum).
- Its beginner-friendly user interface can disappoint advanced crypto traders.
- Deposit and withdrawal fees: 0%.
- Spread: From 0% to 2.5%.
Canadian investors new to the world of crypto looking for their first crypto trading app.
What Is A Crypto App?
A crypto trading app (or crypto mobile app) is the mobile version of a cryptocurrency exchange. Most of the time, these apps allow you to trade cryptocurrency wherever you are and on the go (as long as you have the application installed on your phone), which makes them extremely convenient for busy crypto traders that can't be close to their computers most of the time.
These mobile apps also have the added benefit of being simpler in design, making the trading experience much quicker. However, some of these apps can also support the more advanced features that their desktop exchanges have, so it's not like experienced crypto traders can't find any value in these slick applications.
Benefits Of Crypto Apps
There are a few major benefits of using Crypto Apps In Canada:
- Portability & Convenience: Cryptocurrency mobile apps allow you to trade crypto even if you're away from your computer, meaning that they can adapt to busier lifestyles.
- Multi-Platform Compatibility: One of the best advantages that crypto mobile apps offer is that they are compatible with all devices.
- Accessibility: All crypto mobile apps are also tremendously accessible, as you don't have to pay a single penny for using mobile apps in general. The only money you'll be paying when using crypto mobile apps is the trading fees that the main crypto exchange has.
- Security: Crypto mobile apps are often just as secure as their desktop counterpart, and hacking a crypto exchange account (either from the desktop or the mobile app) can often be a pretty challenging endeavour due to these security measures.
Choosing the best crypto app in Canada isn’t easy, given how many options are out there and all of the different features each of them offers. As a long-time crypto investor myself, I constantly keep up with the latest and greatest exchanges and make my recommendations below based on years of deep research and personal experience.
ZenGo is the favourite among knowledgeable Canadian crypto investors, both for its high level of security and for its ease of use. It also has extremely low trading fees, so if you're looking for a secure, cost-effective way to buy and sell crypto in Canada with a $50 signup bonus (available until December 9, 2022), I can't recommend ZenGo highly enough.
Best Crypto Apps In Canada FAQs
How Much Does A Crypto App Cost In Canada?
Although opening an account with a crypto mobile app is free, a Crypto App In Canada can cost anywhere between 0.1% to 5% in trading fees. If you're looking for the lowest trading fees possible, I recommend that you use CoinSmart.
What Is The Cheapest Crypto App In Canada?
The cheapest Crypto Apps In Canada is CoinSmart. CoinSmart has the lowest trading fees in Canada at just 0.2%.
What Is The Best Free Crypto App In Canada?
Are Crypto Apps Worth It?
Yes, Crypto Apps are worth it because they are convenient, portable, secure, and accessible. They can also be extremely comfortable to use, and most crypto mobile apps often have a simplified interface that is easier to use and therefore saves you time.
Are Crypto Apps Safe?
Yes, a Crypto App is safe because they use the same security measures that desktop crypto exchanges use. This includes industry-standard security measures such as cold storage policies, 2-factor authentication, biometric login options, and even SSL encryption.
Are Crypto Apps Legit In Canada?
Yes, Crypto Apps In Canada are legit because they have the same regulation and compliance that desktop crypto exchanges have. This includes being registered Money Service Businesses (MSBs) with the Financial Transactions and Reports Analysis Centre of Canada (FINTRAC) and the Ontario Securities Commission (OSC).