What Is Canadian Tire Money?
Canadian Tire Money (now known as Triangle Rewards) is a loyalty program that allows you to earn cash back on your purchases at Canadian Tire, Sport Chek, and other participating stores.
Here are some additional things to know about Canadian Tire Money:
- Canadian Tire Money was introduced in 1958.
- Canadian Tire Money is available in denominations of 5¢, 10¢, 25¢, 50¢, $1, and $2.
- You can earn Canadian Tire Money by shopping at Canadian Tire, Sport Chek, and participating Mark's, L'Équipeur and Atmosphere stores.
- You can redeem Canadian Tire Money for merchandise, gas, or travel.
- Over 90% of Canadian households have at least some Canadian Tire Money.
How Canadian Tire Money earnings are calculated
There are three factors that impact how much Canadian Tire Money you’ll earn on your purchases:
- Base rate: The base earn rate is 0.4% on every dollar you spend, which means you'll earn $1 in Canadian Tire Money for every $250 you spend.
- Triangle Mastercard: Paying for your purchases with a Triangle Mastercard will earn you even more Canadian Tire Money. You'll earn 4% on all purchases at Canadian Tire and partners, as well as bonus Canadian Tire Money during special promotions.
- Promotional multipliers: Canadian Tire offers frequent promotions that pay out significantly more Canadian Tire Money. The multipliers impact the base rate (not the rate earned by using a Triangle Mastercard), and you can see how much you’ll earn from some common multipliers in the table below.
|Multiplier||Canadian Tire Money earned per $1 spent|
Keep in mind that you only earn Canadian Tire Money on pre-tax dollars.
How to earn more Canadian Tire Money
There are a number of ways to earn more Canadian Tire Money, including:
- Use a Canadian Tire credit card. You can earn 4% CTM on eligible purchases made with your Triangle Mastercard at Canadian Tire, Sport Chek, Atmosphere, Sports Rousseau, Hockey Experts, L'Entrepôt du Hockey and participating Mark's, L'Équipeur and Sports Experts stores. You also earn 5¢ per litre savings on gas at Canadian Tire gas stations.
- Participate in special offers and promotions. Canadian Tire often offers special offers and promotions that can help you earn more Canadian Tire Money. For example, you may be able to earn double or triple the CTM on certain items if you capitalize on a multiplier.
- Refer a friend. If you refer a friend to the Triangle Rewards program and they sign up, you'll both earn 100 CTM.
Here are some additional tips for earning more Canadian Tire Money:
- Combine offers. Sometimes, you can combine offers to earn even more CTM. For example, you may be able to earn double CTM on an item that is already on sale.
- Be patient. It takes time to earn a lot of Canadian Tire Money. Don't expect to earn a lot of CTM overnight. Just keep shopping and you will eventually earn enough CTM to redeem for something you want.
Is the Canadian Tire Triangle Mastercard any good?
If you spend a lot of money at Canadian Tire, the Triangle Mastercard can be good. But if it's one of just one or two credit cards in your wallet, you're leaving a lot of money on the table. Other cards like the American Express Cobalt Card or the Platinum Card offer much more in the way of benefits and overall cost savings (even after their annual fees).
Alternatively, if you want to just get some big bonuses that will earn you more in a few minutes than you'll earn in months from Canadian Tire, check out the top crypto signup bonuses in Canada below: