There are plenty of ways that you can buy USD Coin (USDC) in Canada: you can buy it directly from crypto ATMs around Canada, use crypto peer-to-peer platforms, or you can buy it through a cryptocurrency exchange using fiat currencies (such as CAD or USD). You can also buy other cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin (BTC) and then trade them for USD Coin on a different trading platform.
As for crypto exchanges that you can use to buy USD Coin, we personally encourage you to give CoinSmart a try, both for its high level of security and for its ease of use. It also has the lowest trading fees of any exchange in Canada, so if you’re looking for a secure, cost-effective way to buy and sell crypto, we can’t recommend CoinSmart highly enough.
How Do You Buy USD Coin (USDC) In Canada?
Fortunately, there are a plethora of ways that you can buy USD Coin (USDC) in Canada.
Some of the easiest ways you can buy USD Coin in Canada today are through the use of cryptocurrency exchange. These platforms allow you to use fiat currencies (such as CAD or USD) to buy digital assets, and you can also buy other cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin (BTC) and then trade them for USD Coin using these platforms.
Another couple of easy ways to do so would be buying the digital asset directly from crypto ATMs around Canada, or by using crypto peer-to-peer platforms.
Lastly, you could always mine USD Coin directly if you have a powerful enough computer, but this doesn’t count as buying it and it’s nowhere near as straightforward.
Top 4 Crypto Exchanges To Buy USD Coin (USDC) In Canada
Here are our top crypto exchange picks for buying USD Coin (USDC) in Canada:
CoinSmart is a cryptocurrency exchange based in Toronto that was founded by former bankers to simplify cryptocurrency investing for the masses.
It currently supports 14 cryptocurrencies: Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, Ripple, Bitcoin Cash, Stellar, EOS, USD Coin, Cardano, Dogecoin, Polkadot, Shiba Inu, Chainlink, and Uniswap.
Trading with CoinSmart costs just 0.20%, the lowest trading fee of any exchange in Canada. They offer excellent customer support via phone, live chat and email, and user accounts are verified instantly.
Most exchanges require you to trade every altcoin first with a stablecoin, but CoinSmart allows you to trade altcoins directly, which minimizes fees and boosts your profits.
- Supports 14 cryptocurrencies
- Lowest trading fees in the industry (just 0.20% per trade)
- Instant account verification
- Trade all altcoins directly
- Immediate deposits and withdrawals
- User-friendly for both beginners and advanced traders
- 95% cold storage policy keeps your crypto extra secure
- 24/7 customer support available via phone, live chat or email
- Trading Fees: 0.20%
$50 when you deposit at least $100 using this link
Investors looking to trade stablecoins and altcoins with the industry’s lowest fees.
Crypto.com is a crypto exchange that entered the Canadian market very recently (specifically around mid-2021). It supports 100+ cryptocurrencies, which makes it the perfect crypto exchange for anyone looking to invest in undiscovered altcoins before everyone else does.
Crypto.com has invested a lot of money into its platform security, and the exchange is also known for being extremely fast when updating its digital asset prices, which gives crypto day traders the upper hand over the rest of the market.
- Supports 100+ cryptocurrencies
- Allows up to 10x leverage
- Trade crypto derivatives (futures and options contracts)
- Earn daily interest by staking your coins
- Purchase newly-listed coins at up to 50% off
- Reasonable trading fees (0.4% per trade)
- Free deposits from all cryptocurrencies
- Trading Fees: 0.4%
$10 of CRO when you stake $1,000 of CRO using this link
Investors looking to buy altcoins and other new crypto assets before they go mainstream.
The National Digital Asset Exchange (NDAX) is a Canadian crypto exchange that currently supports 20+ cryptocurrencies. It also has competitive trading fees and a simple registration process, making it a decent choice for new crypto traders.
NDAX’s advanced charting tools allow more seasoned traders to place advanced order types.
- Supports 20+ cryptocurrencies
- Easy registration process
- Wide range of resources to help beginner traders
- Offers easy-to-use tools to aid you during trading
- Offers advanced charting tools for more experienced traders
- Trading Fees: 0.20%.
$10 when you deposit at least $100 using this link
Experienced traders seeking strong charting capabilities.
Netcoins is a beginner-friendly exchange that supports 9 cryptocurrencies (Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, Bitcoin Cash, Tether, Ripple, QCAD, USDC, and Stellar) and charges trading fees of 0.5%. Depositing and withdrawing fiat is free, and they allow users to set limit orders to buy and sell coins when they hit a certain price level.
- Supports 9 cryptocurrencies
- One-click trading for beginners
- Free deposits and fiat withdrawals
- Owned by a publicly-traded company (BIGG Digital Assets), which lends legitimacy and fiscal oversight
- Trading Fees: 0.50%
- Deposit and withdrawal fees: Free
Beginners looking for a user-friendly crypto exchange.
USD Coin (USDC) FAQs
1. What Is USD Coin (USDC)?
USD Coin (USDC) is one of the most popular stablecoins. It is currently the ninth-largest cryptocurrency by market capitalization, and like Tether (USDT), its value is tied to the US dollar by a ratio of 1:1.
What this means is that if you needed to redeem your USD Coin supply for US dollars, you’d easily be able to get the same amount of USD as the number of USD Coins you have and vice versa.
2. Can I Buy USD Coin (USDC) In Canada?
Just like Tether, there are plenty of crypto exchanges that support USD Coin. All you need to do is find one that allows you to exchange fiat currencies or other coins for USD Coin and you’d be good to go.
3. Where Do I Store My USD Coin (USDC) Tokens?
The simplest way would be to keep your USD Coin tokens inside your account’s balance on the exchange where you purchased them.
Most crypto exchanges keep 95% of their digital assets in cold storage, but even if this makes them safer than keeping your tokens on a software (hot) wallet, there’s still a small chance that your USD Coin tokens could be hacked or stolen if you do this.
Another way to store your USD Coins would be to use a personal crypto wallet. It’s worth mentioning that this is not guaranteed safety, but a cold wallet is safer than leaving your funds in the exchange you originally purchased your digital assets in.
Here are our top 3 cold storage wallet picks:
- Ledger Nano X: The Ledger Nano X is the best cold storage crypto wallet on the market today. It’s a hardware wallet that uses a certified secure chip to protect your private keys and it supports more than 1,800 crypto assets.
- Ledger Nano S: Similar to the Nano X, the Ledger Nano S is a hardware wallet with extremely positive reviews from its users. It supports 1,500+ cryptocurrencies and allows users to hold up to 20 digital assets on the device at any given time.
- Trezor Model T: The Trezor Model T is a hardware wallet and password manager designed and created by the SatoshiLabs team. It supports 1,000+ cryptocurrencies including Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, Dogecoin, Bitcoin Cash, Zcash (ZEC), and many others.
4. Is USD Coin (USDC) A Good Investment?
Just like Tether, USD Coin is backed by the U.S. dollar by a 1:1 ratio, which makes it considerably safer than other digital assets as its value simply doesn’t fluctuate as much.
This means that USD Coin isn’t exactly an investment though, but you could earn interest on what you have in USD Coin tokens by staking them on platforms like Crypto.com.
The number of cryptocurrency exchanges that support the buying, selling and trading of USD Coin (USDC) is increasing, and it doesn’t seem to be slowing down anytime soon.
If you want to buy USD Coin (USDC) in Canada, we recommend you take a look at CoinSmart, both for its high level of security and its ease of use. It also has the lowest trading fees of any exchange in Canada, so if you’re looking for a secure, cost-effective way to buy and sell crypto, CoinSmart is the best that Canada has to offer.