If you're looking for ways to earn extra money, delivery is a lucrative and easy choice. This guide offers insights into some of the best delivery apps to work for. DoorDash, Uber Eats, Grubhub, Instacart, and Amazon Flex are at the top of the list. These platforms offer drivers the flexibility to set schedules, competitive pay rates, and reliable and user-friendly interfaces.
Uber Eats boasts a large customer base and a seamless app experience. DoorDash has extensive restaurant partnerships and an efficient delivery service. Grubhub provides a wide range of delivery options and reliable support for its drivers. Instacart specializes in grocery delivery, ensuring steady demand and consistent earnings. Finally, Amazon Flex offers the opportunity to deliver packages alongside food, expanding income potential. While each platform has strengths, Uber Eats is the best overall choice. With a vast customer base and a seamless app experience, Uber Eats offers drivers numerous advantages.
The delivery industry is booming in the United States. The growing demand for on-demand food delivery presents a great opportunity if you're searching for extra money. In fact, some people are now earning more from food delivery than their regular day jobs, making it an appealing choice for a side hustle.
Thanks to easy-to-use food delivery apps, you can work how and where you want, all while earning significant cash. There are many different food delivery apps that you can work for. Each app has advantages and disadvantages, so it’s crucial to research before deciding which one is right for you. In this article, we will discuss the best food delivery apps to work for in the U.S.
What Are The Best Food Delivery Apps To Work For?
Here are the best food delivery apps to work for:
- Uber Eats–Best overall
- DoorDash—Best for side gigs and flexibility
- Grubhub–Best for big cities, variety of restaurants, and high demand
- Instacart–Best for grocery delivery
- Amazon Flex–Best pay
Let's look at what makes these food delivery apps special.
#1 Uber Eats—Best Overall
Headquartered in San Francisco, California, Uber Eats is one of the best-paying apps for delivery driver jobs. It’s one of the fastest-growing delivery companies, benefiting from Uber's vast customer base. In most areas, they also give new customers a great gift card for their first order.
Drivers regularly receive opportunities to earn additional incentives through various prompts. These prompts include Quest, which involves reaching specific trip goals, Boost, which offers multipliers during busy periods; and Surge, which involves higher pricing during peak demand times.
The Uber Eats app also has an automatic tipping feature. This encourages customers to tip while placing their orders, ensuring drivers have the potential for higher earnings.
In 2020, Uber Eats acquired Postmates and successfully integrated their systems. Most delivery tasks revolve around fast food, grocery, convenience store pickups, and alcohol deliveries in specific regions. As individuals continue using Uber for regular transportation, the demand for the Uber Eats app will rise, increasing available delivery jobs.
Feature Of Uber Eats
- Incentive Prompts: Uber Eats gives drivers regular prompts to earn additional incentives such as Quest, Boost, and Surge. These features offer opportunities to reach trip goals, benefit from multipliers during busy periods, and earn higher payouts during peak demand times.
Pros Of Uber Eats
- Competitive Pay: Uber Eats is known for being one of the best-paying apps for delivery driver jobs, offering drivers the potential to earn a substantial income.
- Automatic tipping, which encourages customers to tip while placing their orders.
- Integrates well with the Uber app.
Cons Of Uber Eats
- Increased competition.
- Promotions like Quest aren’t available in every city.
- Inconsistent earnings.
Earning: $8–$15 per hour.
Tips: Keep 100% of the tips.
Uber Eats is best suited for drivers who want to earn a competitive income as delivery drivers.
Uber Eats Requirements
- Be at least 18 old to deliver by bike and 19 to deliver by car or scooter.
- Social Security Number.
- Driver's license or a government-issued ID.
#2 DoorDash—Best For Side Gigs And Flexibility
Launched in 2013, DoorDash is one of the most popular food delivery apps in the U.S. It’s available in almost every city and state across the United States.
DoorDash initially focused on fast food and restaurant orders but has expanded its services to include a wide range of products. Customers now have the option to order groceries, pet supplies, flowers, gifts, and more. This expansion has significantly increased the demand for drivers, making DoorDash one of the most sought-after delivery app jobs.
Another perk about DoorDash is that it typically doesn’t charge more than the store price for items (like other delivery apps). So, when customers order from a store like Walmart through DoorDash, they pay the same amount they would if they visited the store in person. This approach further boosts demand and the number of orders, leading to an increase in job opportunities.
DoorDash drivers are paid a base rate plus tips. They can also earn bonuses for completing a certain number of deliveries or working during peak hours.
Features Of DoorDash
- Extensive Availability: DoorDash is widely available across almost every city and state in the United States, providing ample opportunities for individuals to join as drivers and serve a large customer base.
- Transparent Pricing: DoorDash stands out from other delivery apps by typically charging customers the same store price for items. This fair pricing approach ensures that customers don’t pay additional fees, thereby increasing demand and order numbers and ultimately benefiting drivers.
- Flexible Working Hours: DoorDash allows drivers to choose their working hours based on their preferences and availability. This flexibility allows individuals to work when they want and for the desired duration.
- Competitive Earning Potential: DoorDash drivers receive a base rate for each delivery, which is supplemented by customer tips. Additionally, drivers can earn bonuses for completing a certain number of deliveries or working during peak hours.
Pros Of DoorDash
- Flexible hours. Drivers can work when they want, as much as they want.
- Easy to get started. Drivers can sign up and start delivering quickly.
- Competitive pay.
- Offers incentives at peak times.
Cons Of DoorDash
- Delivery payouts are a low flat rate.
- Unpredictable earnings.
- Scheduling is required during busy times.
You will always earn Base Pay for any delivery. Base Pay is calculated based on the order's distance, estimated time, and desirability of the order.
Base rate: Between $2 and $10+ per delivery.
Tips: You receive 100% of the tips you receive from customers.
Promotions: Includes Peak Pay bonuses.
DoorDash is best for drivers looking for a flexible job with the potential to earn good money.
Requirements To Work For Doordash
- 18 or older.
- Any car, scooter, or bicycle (in select cities).
- Driver's license number.
- Valid auto insurance.
- Social security number.
- Android or iOS (Apple) smartphone.
- Final Step: consent to a background check.
Related: If you're looking for an easy way to make extra money, check out our Fetch Rewards review, one of the best cashback apps on the market.
#3 Grubhub—Best For Big Cities And Variety Of Restaurants
Grubhub has established a strong presence with an extensive list of partnered restaurants and a sizable customer base in the areas it operates.
As a Grubhub driver, you can set your working hours based on availability. However, a drawback is that you're limited to delivering within your designated delivery zone, which is determined during the setup process in the mobile app. Additionally, Grubhub offers Instant Cash Out, allowing you to cash out your earnings at any time, giving you the flexibility to choose when you receive your payment.
While Grubhub may not be the most popular app for grocery deliveries, it provides a vast network of local markets, liquor shops, and convenience stores that customers enjoy ordering from. The increasing demand for alcohol delivery has further boosted Grubhub's appeal as a preferred platform for drivers.
Moreover, the nature of the job can be enjoyable, particularly for night owls, as Grubhub operates when restaurants and convenience stores are open. This often leads to late-night orders, even past midnight, making it an ideal choice for those who prefer working during nighttime hours.
Features Of Grubhub
- Flexible Delivery Hours: As a Grubhub driver, you can set your working hours based on your availability, allowing you to create a schedule that fits your needs.
- Instant Cash Out: Grubhub offers an Instant Cash Out feature that allows drivers to access their earnings whenever they want. This provides financial flexibility and the ability to receive payment on demand.
- Diverse Delivery Options: In addition to restaurant deliveries, Grubhub also facilitates deliveries from local markets, liquor shops, and convenience stores. This expands the range of potential delivery opportunities for drivers.
- Late-Night Orders: Grubhub operates during the hours when restaurants and convenience stores are open, including late at night. This means that drivers have the potential to receive orders even during late-night hours, catering to customers who crave food or essentials outside of typical business hours.
Pros Of Grubhub
- Strong presence and popularity with partnered restaurants and customers.
- Has flexible working hours based on personal availability.
- Convenient Instant Cash Out feature for quick access to earnings.
- A diverse range of delivery options beyond restaurants.
- Potential for late-night orders, appealing to night owls.
Cons Of Grubhub
- Limited delivery zone based on designated areas.
- Not the most popular app for grocery deliveries.
- May face competition from restaurants with in-house delivery drivers.
Earn: Average pay of about $13.50 per hour
those interested in the convenience of instant cash out for on-demand access to earnings.
Requirements To Work For Grubhub
- Be at least 19 years old.
- Car (or bike in select areas).
- Valid driver's license.
- Auto insurance for drivers.
- Valid state I.D. or driver's license for bike riders.
#4 Instacart—Best For Grocery Delivery
Instacart became very popular during the pandemic and is today's most widely known grocery delivery service. When it comes to working for Instacart, there are two options:
- Full-service shoppers and
- In-store shoppers.
Full-service shoppers accept customer orders through the app, complete the shopping on the customer's behalf, and deliver the order. This role offers flexibility in terms of choosing the days, times, and frequency of work. On the other hand, in-store shoppers receive orders through the app, shop for the items in the order, and prepare them for customer pickup. In-store shoppers are considered part-time employees and are limited to working 29 hours per week.
The payment structure at Instacart is based on factors such as the size and complexity of the order, as well as how busy the app is. Instacart shoppers can view estimated earnings before accepting an order. However, it also requires you to schedule your working hours in advance.
While the shopping and delivery process for each order may take longer compared to other delivery apps, this also means that Instacart shoppers have the potential to earn higher payouts per order.
Features Of Instacart
- Wide availability: Instacart is one of the most widely known and popular grocery delivery services in many cities and regions across the United States and Canada.
- Two Working Options: Instacart offers two working options for shoppers. Full-service shoppers handle the entire process, from accepting customer orders to shopping and delivering them. In-store shoppers focus on shopping for items and preparing them for customer pickup.
- Flexibility In Scheduling: Full-service shoppers can choose their working days, times, and frequency, allowing them to create a schedule that suits their availability and preferences.
- Transparent Earnings: Instacart shoppers can view estimated earnings before accepting an order. The payment structure considers factors such as the size and complexity of the order, as well as app demand.
- Potential For Higher Payouts: While the shopping and delivery processes for each order may take longer compared to other delivery apps, this also means that Instacart shoppers have the potential to earn higher payouts per order, making it appealing for those looking to maximize their earnings.
Pros Of Instacart
- Wide popularity and recognition as a leading grocery delivery service.
- Flexibility in choosing full-service shoppers' working days, times, and frequency.
- In-store shoppers have the stability of being part-time employees.
- Estimated earnings are visible before accepting an order.
- Potential for higher payouts per order due to longer shopping and delivery processes.
Cons Of Instacart
- Requires scheduling working hours in advance.
- Shopping and delivery processes may take longer compared to other delivery apps.
- In-store shoppers have a weekly hour limit of 29 hours.
- Payment is influenced by factors like order size and app demand.
Earn: $20+ per hour
It is best for those willing to invest more time per order for potentially higher payouts.
Requirements To Work For Intacart
- 18+ years old.
- Eligible to work in the U.S.
- Access to vehicle.
- Access to smartphone.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs with or without help.
Related: Claim an easy $15 welcome bonus using our TopCashback promo code and earn on every purchase you make.
#5 Amazon Flex—Best Pay
When working as an Amazon Flex driver, your responsibilities include delivering packages for Amazon Prime members, groceries for Amazon Fresh customers, and other types of deliveries. You will need to sign up for preset blocks of time, typically two to six hours, depending on your location and the specific type of delivery you will be handling.
Additionally, there are Instant Offers available for immediate and shorter blocks of time. Amazon Flex has a minimum payment threshold that you’ll see in the work offers you receive.
As an Amazon Flex driver, you can choose when you want to get paid. You can opt for daily or weekly payments and even select a specific day of the week for receiving your earnings.
Amazon Flex also offers a rewards program where you can earn points for each delivery you complete. You can redeem the points for cash back, purchase discounts, and other benefits.
It's important to note that to work with Amazon Flex, you must be at least 21 years old and eligible to work in the United States.
In terms of vehicle requirements, Amazon Flex requires a midsize or larger sedan or SUV for deliveries. Smaller cars, trucks with open beds, scooters, or other motorized bikes are not eligible for this role.
Features Of Amazon Flex
- Delivery Variety: Amazon Flex drivers are responsible for delivering a wide range of items, including packages for Amazon Prime members, groceries for Amazon Fresh customers, and other types of deliveries.
- Flexible Schedule: Drivers can sign up for preset blocks of time, typically ranging from two to six hours, allowing them to choose when they want to work based on their availability.
- Payment Options: Amazon Flex offers flexible payment options, allowing drivers to choose between daily or weekly payments. They can also select a specific day of the week to receive their earnings.
- Rewards Program: Amazon Flex has a rewards program where drivers can earn points for each delivery they complete. You can redeem these points for cash back, purchase discounts, and other benefits.
- Vehicle Requirements: To work with Amazon Flex, drivers must have a midsize or larger sedan or SUV for deliveries.
Pros Of Amazon Flex
- Flexible scheduling options based on available blocks of time.
- Variety of delivery types, providing potential for diverse work experiences.
- The rewards program offers additional benefits and incentives.
- A choice between daily or weekly payments.
- Opportunity to work with a well-known and established company like Amazon.
Cons Of Amazon Flex
- Limited to specific geographic areas where Amazon Flex operates. This alone takes it down from the #1 spot of the best delivery apps to work for.
- Availability of delivery blocks may vary depending on location and demand.
- Vehicle requirements may restrict some drivers who don't have a midsize or larger sedan or SUV.
Earn: between $18 and $25 per hour
individuals seeking flexible part-time work for additional income.
Requirements To Work For Amazon Flex
- Be 21 years or older.
- Have a mid-sized or larger vehicle.
- Social Security Number.
- A compatible smartphone with Android 7.0 or higher or iOS.
- Pass a background check.
Factors To Consider When Choosing A Delivery App To Work For
When selecting the best delivery app to work for, there are several factors you should consider. Here are some key aspects to help guide your decision:
- Payment Structure: Look into the payment structure of each delivery app. Consider factors such as base pay, bonuses, and tipping policies. Compare the earning potential and determine which app offers fair compensation for your time and effort. The best delivery apps to work for should always include a flexible payment structure that allows you to keep your tips.
- Delivery Options: Assess the types of deliveries each app offers. Some apps specialize in food delivery, while others may include groceries or a combination of services. Choose an app that aligns with your preferences and skills.
- Flexibility: Consider the level of flexibility the app provides in terms of setting your own schedule. Determine if you can work when it suits you or if there are restrictions and requirements for working specific hours or shifts.
- Geographic Coverage: Check the availability of the app in your area. Some delivery apps operate nationwide, while others have limited coverage. Ensure that the app you choose operates in the locations where you plan to work.
- App User Experience: Evaluate the user experience of each delivery app. Look for user-friendly interfaces, ease of navigation, and efficient order management systems. A well-designed app can enhance your overall experience as a driver.
- Support and Communication: Consider the level of support and communication the app's customer service team provides. Look for apps that offer timely assistance, clear communication channels, and effective problem-solving methods.
- Additional Benefits: Take note of the app's other perks or benefits. This could include incentives, rewards programs, insurance coverage, or access to exclusive discounts. These extras can enhance your overall experience and make a difference in your earnings.
The food delivery industry continues to thrive, providing numerous opportunities for anyone seeking flexible work options and additional income. The best food delivery apps to work for in the U.S., such as DoorDash, Uber Eats, Grubhub, Instacart, and Amazon Flex, offer drivers the chance to set their own schedules, earn competitive pay, and provide a reliable and user-friendly platform. As you explore these options, consider the flexibility, earning potential, and user feedback to make an informed choice. Embrace the opportunity to join the thriving food delivery industry and embark on a fulfilling and lucrative journey as a delivery driver.
Best Food Delivery Apps To Work For FAQs
Which food delivery app is right for me?
The best food delivery app for you depends on your needs and preferences. If you are looking for an app in many cities, DoorDash, Uber Eats, and Grubhub are good options. If you are looking for an app specializing in grocery delivery, Instacart is a good option.
How much do food delivery drivers make?
The amount of money that food delivery drivers make varies depending on the app and the city. However, drivers typically earn between $10 and $20 per hour. Drivers can also earn tips from customers, significantly increasing their earnings.
What are the requirements to work for a food delivery app?
The requirements to work for a food delivery app vary depending on the app. However, most apps require drivers to be at least 18 years old, have a valid driver's license, and pass a background check. Sometimes, you’ll need a bicycle, scooter, car, or minivan.