The American Express Aeroplan Card is a travel credit card with an annual fee of $120, issued by American Express, one of the largest credit card networks in Canada. It offers an attractive Aeroplan point earn rate on travel-related purchases, plus a very generous welcome bonus of 50,000 Aeroplan points.
With this card, you will have access to exclusive travel perks like free checked baggage, double the Aeroplan points on purchases, and bonus Status Qualifying Miles so you can upgrade to the Aeroplan Elite status faster. You'll also have access to exclusive American Express Experiences and the option to redeem your points for hotel stays, car rentals, and more.
What Is The American Express Aeroplan Card?
The American Express Aeroplan Card is a travel credit card issued by American Express (AMEX). The credit card was redesigned in November 2020, updating the Air Canada benefits. AMEX has partnered with Air Canada’s Aeroplan program, allowing their cardholders to earn Aeroplan points while purchasing products and services. Aeroplan points can be redeemed for travel-related purchases and discounts, including flights, car rentals, and hotel stays.
AMEX is an American company established in 1850 specializing in payment card services. In 1853, the company extended its reach in Canada by opening offices in Hamilton and Toronto. They operate in the country as Amex Bank of Canada and Amex Canada Inc. As of today, Amex offers a wide range of credit cards to Canadians from all walks of life. From no-fee cards like the Green Card, classics like the Gold card, and travel cards like the Marriott Bonvoy American Express to premium offerings like the Platinum card, you will surely find one that fits your lifestyle.
Features Of The American Express Aeroplan Card
#1 Earn 50,000 Bonus Aeroplan Points As A Welcome Bonus
The points earned from an AMEX Aeroplan Card are used to access benefits and perks in Air Canada. To get points, you must purchase the eligible products and services. You will earn points at a rate of:
- 2 Aeroplan points per $1 spent on Air Canada or Air Canada Vacations eligible purchases.
- 1.5 Aeroplan points per $1 spent on qualifying food delivery and dining purchases in Canada.
- 1 Aeroplan point on all other purchases
- Earn 35,000 Aeroplan points after spending $3,000
- Earn 2,500 Aeroplan points every month for the first six months when you spend at least $500
Aside from the standard American Express Aeroplan Card, clients can also choose the American Express Aeroplan Reserve Card and the American Express Aeroplan Business Reserve Card. These two varieties of Aeroplan Cards provide unique benefits and rewards.
The American Express Aeroplan Business Reserve Card offers a high welcome bonus of up to 85,000 Aeroplan points, plus you can earn about 25,000 Aeroplan points if you reach the $3,000 net purchases using the card. Additionally, you will earn 5,000 Aeroplan points every month for the first 12 months when you spend at least $2,000.
The American Express Aeroplan Reserve Card offers a similar range of welcome bonuses of up to 85,000 Aeroplan points; however, it is provided in different ways. You will earn 5,000 Aeroplan points every month for the first six months when you spend at least $1,000.
#3 Insurance Protection
Cardholders of the AMEX Aeroplan Cards can guarantee protection in many instances. These insurance coverages are basically for travel and shopping-related incidents. You can also add more insurance coverages on top of these coverages.
- Flight Delay Insurance offers up to $500 coverage in eligible situations.
- Baggage Delay Insurance provides up to $500 in coverage.
- Lost or Stolen Baggage Insurance offers a maximum of $500 coverage for insured individuals.
- Hotel Burglary Insurance offers up to $500 coverage.
- Car Rental Theft and Damage Insurance offers coverage of MSRP up to $85,000
- $500,000 Travel Accident Insurance is offered for accidental deaths and dismemberment
- Travel Emergency Assistance provides 24/7 access to legal referrals and out-of-town emergency medical assistance
- Buyer’s Assurance Protection Plan allows cardholders to extend coverages if they use the card entirely to buy eligible items.
- Purchase Protection Plan covers up to $1000 for accidental physical damage or theft.
#4 Access to Maple Leaf Lounges
Maple Leaf Lounges are lounges offered by Air Canada in North America and Europe If you own an AMEX Aeroplan Card, you can have exclusive access to lounges with the following benefits:
- Complimentary beverages and light snacks such as tea, soda, coffee, and latte, including a wide selection of wine, beer, and more.
- Access to Cell-Free Quiet Zones
- Reading materials like news and entertainment. It includes newspapers, magazines, and TV.
- Connect to a high-speed Wi-Fi network on all your devices
- Access to showers plus complimentary shampoo, soap, and amenities.
- Members can access their business centers with desktop PCs and printers.
If airport lounges are a priority for you, we recommend checking our list of the best credit cards in Canada with airport lounge access.
#5 Travel Benefits And Discounts
All cardholders of the American Express Aeroplan Card are eligible for exclusive travel benefits and rewards, including:
- The first checked bag is free for a maximum of 9 individuals having the same Air Canada flight reservation.
- Earn 1 Status Qualifying Segment and 1,000 Status Qualifying Miles per $10,000 spent on eligible purchases.
- Redeem your points for travel-related purchases and discounts, including flights, car rentals, and hotel stays
#6 Access To Exclusive American Express Experiences
The American Express Air Miles Ffor Business Card offers access to the exclusive American Express Experiences program. Some of the exclusive services include:
- Access to Front Of The Line reserved tickets before they are sold to the public plus weekly updates on upcoming events
- Access to AMEX Lounges at Budweiser Stage, and more
Pros & Cons of American Express Aeroplan Card
- High welcome bonus (up to 50,000 Aeroplan points)
- Earn twice the points when purchasing at eligible Aeroplan retailers and partner brands
- Comprehensive purchase and travel insurance
- Cardholders can get exclusive access to the special programs of AMEX and the perks of Air Canada.
- You can earn points on all your purchases
- Low annual fee for an Aeroplan travel card ($120)
- Requires high-interest rate for unpaid balances
- Not as widely accepted as Mastercard or Visa credit cards
When shopping for an American Express Aeroplan Card, it’s important to consider all the fees. For these cards, fees are not only limited to cash advances or annual fees. Here are some other fees you should consider:
|Annual Fees (Basic Card)||$120|
|Supplementary Cards (Annual Fee)||$50 each|
|No Fees Supplementary Cards||$0|
|Annual Interest Rates (delinquent charge)||30%|
|Cash Advance||3% greater per funds advance amount|
|Dishonoured Payment||$25 each|
|Aeroplan Points Reinstatement||$20 each through Online services|
Before applying for the American Express Aeroplan Card, you must pass the eligibility requirements first. To apply for this card, you must have the following:
- You should be residing in Canada with a Canadian credit file.
- You must possess the majority of the age in your province or territory. For reference, the age of the majority in Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, and Saskatchewan is 18 years old. In all other provinces, the age of the majority is 19.
Every card issuer has a different system for checking an individual’s credit score. However, they don't disclose the exact credit score requirement. However, if you have a credit score of at least 560, you should get approved. If you're not approved, there are plenty of other Canadian credit cards to choose from.
The American Express Aeroplan Card doesn’t have a minimum income requirement to apply. However, it may be helpful to provide it anyways, as It will help them determine whether or not you are fit to pay the balances and fees. If you have a fair-to-excellent credit score, we listed the best credit cards for fair credit in Canada, one of which is the American Express Cobalt.
AMEX Aeroplan Card is a decent travel credit card for individuals who often fly on Air Canada. It’s a competent way to get rewards while purchasing airline items and services. In return, you can have exclusive access to the programs and acquire benefits offered by AMEX and Aeroplan.
American Express Aeroplan Card FAQs
How Much Does An American Express Aeroplan Card Cost?
The American Express Aeroplan Card has an annual fee of $120. Other than this fee, there are supplementary card fees ($50 for each additional card) and a dishonoured payment fee of $25.
Is The American Express Aeroplan Card Worth It?
Yes, American Express Aeroplan Card is worth it, It comes with a very generous welcome bonus and you can earn points on most purchases. You will also have access to travel perks like access to Maple Leaf Lounges, free checked bags, and priority boarding
Is The American Express Aeroplan Card Safe?
Yes, the American Express Aeroplan Card is safe because American Express’s Fraud Protection Guarantee protects it. In cases of fraudulent activities, the insurance coverage will prevent you from being liable for unauthorized charges. Additionally, American Express is a reputable and big company that provides reliable security to its systems.
Is The American Express Aeroplan Card Legit?
Yes, the American Express Aeroplan Card is legit. It is used by thousands of people worldwide, and it’s considered a great premium travel card.
Is The American Express Aeroplan Card Metal?
No, the American Express Aeroplan Card is not made of metal; it is made of plastic. According to American Express, this card is made of 70% recycled plastic material – this is in line with their commitment to sustainability.