The RBC Avion Visa Platinum credit card is a travel credit card issued by the Royal Bank of Canada, one of the largest banks in Canada. It comes with a very generous welcome bonus of 55,000 Avion points that you can redeem for flights, packaged holidays, hotel stays, tech products, and employee incentives.
With this card, you will earn bonus points when filling up at Petro-Canada gas stations, and it covers you and your business for trip cancellation or interruption, car rental, and extends the warranty on eligible travel purchases. The RBC Avion Visa Platinum has a very reasonable annual fee of $120, which makes it a great entry-level travel credit card.
What Is The RBC Avion Visa Platinum Credit Card?
The RBC Avion Visa Platinum credit card is a personal travel credit card issued by the Royal Bank of Canada (RBC), one of the largest banks in Canada. The RBC Avion Visa Platinum credit card has an annual fee of $120, and no minimum personal income requirement. However, having a higher income can improve your chances of having your card approved.
The RBC Avion Visa Platinum Credit Card is a decent alternative to the RBC Avion Visa Infinite card, as both offer similar travel benefits and have the same annual fee of $120 (plus a $50 fee for additional cards). Both cards offer benefits when purchasing at Rexell, DoorDash, Petro-Canada, and other RBC merchant partners. The RBC Avion Visa Platinum comes with a very generous welcome bonus of 55,000 Avion points and a comprehensive insurance package.
Features Of The RBC Avion Visa Platinum
#1 Earn 1 Avion Point Per $1 Dollar Spent
With RBC Avion Visa Platinum credit card, you can earn 1 Avion point for every dollar you spend on purchases. Remember that only eligible net purchases qualify for earning Avion points and other qualified net purchases do not. Cash advances, interest rates, fees, and credits for returns and adjustments will reduce or cancel the points you acquired by the charged amount. For RBC Avion Visa Platinum, 100 Avion points are equivalent to $1, which you can use to exchange for almost anything. Listed down are the rewards you can redeem with your Avion points.
- RBC credit card and household bill payments
- In-store and online purchases
- Interac e-Transfer transactions
- Travel purchases (e.g., hotels, flights, car rentals, etc.)
- Gift cards, merchandise, or latest tech products from Best Buy or Apple stores
#2 Exclusive Benefits for Avioners
As a client of RBC Avion Visa Platinum, you can access a selection of exclusive experiences, deals, and benefits. You can discover all the rewards of becoming an Avioner by downloading their App or visiting their website. You can enjoy the following benefits in general.
- Avion Rewards ShopPlus – a shop browser extension for iOS mobile phones to find more cash back deals and coupons from selected retailers
- Rewards flexibility – exchange points for purchases, payments, investments products, Interac e-Transfer transactions, or donations
- Avion points redemption on retail – redeem your rewards for the latest tech products from Apple, Best Buy, and other personal items.
#3 Insurance Coverage
The RBC Avion Visa Platinum includes comprehensive travel and medical insurance, including everything from flight delays to hotel burglaries. Here are all the insured categories::
- Travel Accident Insurance: Travel Accident Insurance covers you in case of accidental bodily injuries resulting in a loss, including death. It covers you for up to $500,000.
- Auto Rental Collision/Loss Damage Insurance: Auto Rental Collision or Loss Damage Insurance covers your expenses on car rental loss or damages up to the vehicle's cash value. It also covers towing for up to $65,000 for 48 days.
- Trip Cancellation: Trip Cancellation Insurance ensures each covered person $1,000 per trip to an overall maximum of $5,000. For a dependent child aged 16-25, travelling on their own is $1,000 per trip, with the same benefit for each additional cardholder.
- Trip Interruption Insurance: Trip Interruption Insurance ensures each covered person $2,500 per trip.
- Emergency Purchases: Emergency Purchases insurance guarantees $500 per occurrence for each covered person, up to $2,500 for all covered individuals.
- Flight Delay Insurance: Flight Delay insurance guarantees $250 per incident, up to a maximum of $500 for all covered individuals.
- Purchase Security: Purchase Security Insurance – protects you against direct, unavoidable physical loss or damage to gifts or personal items you have bought with your RBC Avion Visa Platinum card or with RBC Rewards points. This insurance is only applicable within 90 days after the date of purchase, with maximum coverage of $50,000 or the equivalent number of RBC Rewards points.
- Extended Warranty Insurance: Extended Warranty Insurance automatically doubles the original manufacturer's warranty up to one year.
- Hotel/Motel Burglary Insurance: Hotel or Burglary Insurance is only eligible for stolen or damaged personal property due to a break-in. It only covers a maximum reimbursement of $2,500 for repair or replacement.
#4 Optional Add-On Services
You can use your RBC Avion Visa Platinum to its full potential with its optional add-on services that will secure your identity, family, and balance whether you're buying online, in-store, or travelling across the nation. Here are some of the add-ons you can choose from:
RBC Roadside Assistance
RBC Road Assist is available whenever you need it. You can have yourself and your family protected on the road. It offers 24/7 roadside assistance, whether in Canada or the United States. Here are some other credit cards that offer free roadside assistance.
The RBC Road Assist service includes:
- Towing, roadside assistance, and others
- Extensive household coverage – you, your spouse, and children aged 16 to 22 are insured.
- RBC Road Assist App – provides mobile access on the go.
BalanceProtector Max Insurance
BalanceProtector Max helps protect your credit card balance from emergencies. This extra coverage, which you may cancel anytime, can help you prepare for the unexpected. The maximum benefit offered in this insurance is $25,000. BalanceProtector Max Can Protect You in Three Ways:
- Job Loss – covers 25% of your entire account balance up to a maximum of $6,250 per month for up to four months.
- Total Disability – If you become fully handicapped, your coverage may pay up to $6,250 per month for up to four months, up to 25% of your entire card balance.
- Life – up to $25,000 maximum benefit
Identity Theft & Credit Protection
Identity Theft & Credit Protection offers free access to FirstReport-ID and FirstReport-Advantage for 30 days. These include the following:
- 24/7 Online Identity Monitoring
- Credit Score & Credit Report
- Historical Alert Scan
- SMS and Email Notifications
- Identity Restoration
Pros & Cons Of RBC Avion Visa Platinum
- 35,000 welcome bonus points plus 20,000 when you spend $5,000 for the first six months
- Earn 1 Avion point per $1 spent on eligible purchases
- Complimentary 12-month DoorDash subscription and free food delivery on orders of $15 or more.
- 50 Be Well points per $1 spent on purchases at Rexall.
- 20% off and 3x the Avion points when renting a car at Hertz.
- Save 3¢ per litre on fuel and earn 20% more Petro-Points and Avion Points by linking your RBC card to Petro-Canada.
- You can get a one-way ticket for as low as 7,500 Avion points and 15,000 points for a round-trip ticket.
- Comprehensive travel coverage, including trip interruption, cancellation, flight delays, etc.
- Redeem your Avion points for any airline, flight, and time of the day with no blackout periods.
- Pay conveniently with Apple Pay using your iPhone or Apple Watch.
- You can also convert your points into WestJet Dollars, American Airlines AAdvantage Miles, British Airways Executive Club Miles, and Cathay Pacific Asia Miles.
- A $120 annual fee, plus a $50 additional fee on extra credit cards
- It has a high APR of 19.99% on purchases and 22.99% on cash advances.
- It requires between 50,000 to 100,000 Avion points for international destinations, which would take a long time if you do not spend much money on rewards. Aeroplan credit cards are a reasonable alternative.
The RBC Avion Visa Platinum is a mid-tier option for customers with lower personal or household income to benefit from rewards and insurance. Unlike the RBC Avion Visa Infinite Privilege, this card does not require a personal or household income requirement. However, you may need a good to excellent credit score rating to avoid RBC declining your application.
|Fees and Interest Rates
|Additional Card Fee
|Purchase Interest Rate
|Cash Advance Interest Rate
|Foreign Currency Conversion Rate
In terms of pricing, this card is in the same league as the Amex Marriott Bonvoy and the Cobalt everyday credit card, yet those options pay themselves several times over every year, thanks to the great benefits they bring to the table. Even the slightly more expensive Gold Rewards card or the top-tier Platinum makes more financial sense as long as you travel frequently enough and are already paying for things like airport lounge access.
RBC Avion Visa Platinum Credit Card is your go-to travel rewards credit card if you opt to earn rewards while spending on everyday purchases. This credit card offers a generous welcome bonus of up to 55,000 within the first six months and a reward rate of 1 Avion point for every $1 spent. Aside from merchandise or financial rewards, you can redeem your points for airline tickets, but each point is only worth 1 cent, giving you a low 1% return for a card with a high annual fee. You can also convert your points into WestJet Dollars, American Airlines AAdvantage Miles, British Airways Executive Club Miles, and Cathay Pacific Asia Miles.
Furthermore, the sign-up bonus, lack of an income requirement, and extensive insurance coverage may make the $120 annual fee worthwhile – considering that the RBC Avion Visa Platinum is both a reward and a Visa travel credit card.
RBC Avion Visa Platinum Credit Card FAQs
How Much Does The RBC Avion Visa Platinum Credit Card Cost?
RBC Avion Visa Platinum credit card has an annual fee of $120. Requesting additional cards costs $50.
Is The RBC Avion Visa Platinum Credit Card Worth It?
Yes, RBC Avion Visa Platinum Credit Card is worth it because it offers 1 Avion point per $1 spent on purchases which you can redeem for any merchandise, travel purchases, or bill payments. You can also earn a reward rate of up to 1.5% on purchases when redeemed at Expedia for TD purchases. In addition, there is a welcome bonus of up to 55,000 Avion points if you get approved with the credit card.
Is The RBC Avion Visa Platinum Credit Card Safe?
Yes, RBC Avion Visa Platinum is safe because it has a credit lock feature in which you can lock your card whenever you lose or misplace it. Log in to your RBC Mobile app and choose which card you want to close by pressing the toggle button. You can also guarantee your protection its extensive purchase and travel insurance, providing you support 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Who Is Eligible For Visa Platinum?
The individuals eligible for the RBC Avion Visa Platinum should have an excellent credit score rating or a credit score of 760 and above. There is no minimum household or personal income to qualify for this card.
Is Visa Platinum Hard To Get?
No, RBC Avion Visa Platinum is not hard to get because you can apply for this card online. Anyone with a credit score of 760 and above can easily qualify if they have complete requirements and are eligible for the credit card.
Is Visa Infinite Better Than Visa Platinum?
Yes, RBC Avion Visa Platinum is better than Avion Visa Infinite since it has a lower annual fee with no minimum personal or household income requirements. However, compared to Avion Visa Infinite, Avion Visa Platinum offers a weaker insurance package such that emergency medical and mobile device insurance are not included. Thus, this is the best option if you don't have $60,000 or $100,000 personal or annual household income but are still trying to take advantage of the rewards and benefits.
What Airlines Can You Use With The Avion Points?
You can use your Avion Points at any airline, flight, and time with no blackout dates or seat restrictions. However, the points required to redeem may differ depending on the location you want to travel to.